- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Apple Walnut Bread Recipe
|All purpose flour||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Baking powder||3 Teaspoon|
|Apple||2 Cup (32 tbs), pared|
|Walnuts||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), finely chopped|
|Milk||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Vegetable shortening||3 Tablespoon, melted|
Calories 388 Calories from Fat 100
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 12 g17.8%
Saturated Fat 2.5 g12.3%
Trans Fat 0.7 g
Cholesterol 28.6 mg
Sodium 409.4 mg17.1%
Total Carbohydrates 66 g21.8%
Dietary Fiber 3.3 g13.2%
Sugars 26.4 g
Protein 7 g14.9%
Vitamin A 1.7% Vitamin C 4.8%
Calcium 18.6% Iron 15.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a large bowl sift flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon, and add diced apple and walnuts. Mix all the ingredients well.
2. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs, shortening and the milk and mix well.
3. Add the egg mixture into the dry ingredients and using your hands mix well till the entire mixture is evenly wet and moist. . (Work with a light hand, for heavy—or too much—stirring will cause the baked bread to have small tunnels in it)
4. Grease a loaf pan 9x5x3 with butter and pour the batter in evenly on all four sides. Using a spoon neatly spoon most of the batter to the corners leaving a well in the centre. This helps the loaf rise evenly with no hump in the middle.
5. In a moderate oven bake at (350°) 1 hour and 10 minutes, or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean and loaf pulls away from sides of pan.
6. Remove from oven and allow the loaf to cool completely before overturning onto a dish.
7. Serve with a spoon of ice cream as a dessert.
8. Also cut the loaf into slices and spread strawberry jam or apple jam to make more delicious