- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Apple Turnovers Recipe
|Flaky pastry||1 Pound|
|Butter||1 Tablespoon (For Cookie Sheets)|
|Beaten egg||1 Tablespoon (For Glaze)|
|Cooking apples||1 1⁄2 Pound, peeled, cored and thinly sliced|
|Granulated sugar||2 Tablespoon|
|Dark brown sugar||2 Tablespoon|
|Raisins||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), chopped|
|Freshly grated nutmeg||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground cinnamon||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Grated orange rind/Lemon||1⁄2|
|Lemon||1 , juiced|
|Orange juice||2 Tablespoon|
Calories 169 Calories from Fat 59
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 7 g10.1%
Saturated Fat 1.5 g7.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 8 mg
Sodium 25.8 mg1.1%
Total Carbohydrates 26 g8.5%
Dietary Fiber 2.8 g11.1%
Sugars 17.2 g
Protein 2 g4.4%
Vitamin A 1.6% Vitamin C 14.7%
Calcium 1.3% Iron 1.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
2. Grease 2 baking sheets with a little butter.
3. In a mixing bowl, combine filling ingredients and mix well.
4. On a flour dusted work surface, roll out pastry into large 1/8- inch thick sheet.
5. Use a 6 inch saucer to cut out 12 circles.
6. Spoon equal quantity of filling on one half of each pastry circle, 1/4-inch within the edge.
7. Brush edges lightly with water
8. Fold other half of pastry circle over the filling and crimping at the edges to seal Arrange turnovers on buttered cookie sheets.
9. With the tip of a sharp paring knife, make 2 or 3 small slashes on top of each turnover.
10. Brush them with beaten egg.
11. Bake turnovers in preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes, until pastry is puffed and golden and apples are tender when checked with a toothpick.
12. Serve the turnovers steaming hot as an evening snack.