- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Apple Tart with Cranberries Recipe
|Firmly packed light brown sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Quick cooking tapioca||1 Tablespoon|
|Ground ginger||1 Teaspoon|
|Grated orange rind||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Cranberries||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Golden apples||3⁄4 Pound (Delicious, 2 Large Pieces)|
|Piecrust mix||11 Ounce (1 Package)|
|Butter||1 Tablespoon, softened|
|Lemon juice||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Egg yolk||1 , combined with water|
Calories 441 Calories from Fat 60
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 7 g10.5%
Saturated Fat 4.1 g20.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 47 mg
Sodium 244.6 mg10.2%
Total Carbohydrates 92 g30.8%
Dietary Fiber 5 g20%
Sugars 48.3 g
Protein 7 g13%
Vitamin A 5% Vitamin C 9.5%
Calcium 4.1% Iron 32%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Meanwhile, peel, core and finely chop one of the apples. Add with the remaining 1 1/2 cups cranberries to the simmering mixture in the saucepan. Simmer until thickened, for about 15 minutes. Remove to a bowl. Cool.
3. Prepare the piecrust mix, following the directions for a double-crust 9-inch pie. Roll one-half of the dough into a 10-inch circle. Fit into the bottom of a 9-inch tart pan with a removable bottom.
4. Peel, halve, core and slice the remaining apple lengthwise into 1/2-rnch-thick slices.
5. Fill the tart shell with the cranberry-apple mixture. Arrange the apple slices, slightly overlapping, in concentric circles over the top of the tart. Arrange the reserved popped cranberries between the apple slices.
6. To glaze the apples, combine the softened butter, sugar and lemon juice in a small bowl. Brush the glaze over the apple slices.
7. Preheat the oven to hot (425°). Place the oven rack in the bottom third of the oven.
8. Roll out the second half of the dough into a 9-inch circle. Cut the circle into eight 1/2-inch-wide strips and three 3/4-inch-wide strips. Brush the top edge of the pan with water. Weave the 1/2-inch strips in a lattice design over the top. Place the 3/4-inch strips around the edge of the pan, trimming to fit but with the ends slightly overlapping. Brush the egg yolk glaze over the pastry.
9. Bake the tart in the bottom third of the preheated hot oven (425°) for 20 minutes. Lower the oven temperature to 400°. Bake for 15 minutes or until the apples are tender. If the pastry browns too quickly, cover the sides loosely with aluminum foil. Cool the tart on a wire rack. Remove the side of the pan to serve.