- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
THRIVE Apple Pie Recipe Video
|For the crust|
|White flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|White sugar||1 Tablespoon|
|Shortening powder||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs) (+2 tbsp water)|
|Ice water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Cinnamon sugar||1 Tablespoon|
|Egg wash||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|For the filling|
|Granny smith apples||5 Cup (80 tbs), sliced|
|Apple drink mix||4 Tablespoon|
|Water||2 1⁄4 Cup (36 tbs)|
|Vanilla essence||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|White sugar||3 Tablespoon|
|Butter||1⁄4 Pound, divided in half|
|Cornstarch||2 Tablespoon (+ 2 tbsp water)|
|Blueberries||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
Calories 609 Calories from Fat 384
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 44 g67.1%
Saturated Fat 18.8 g93.9%
Trans Fat 3 g
Cholesterol 57.5 mg
Sodium 310.1 mg12.9%
Total Carbohydrates 53 g17.7%
Dietary Fiber 4.5 g18.2%
Sugars 19.8 g
Protein 4 g7.4%
Vitamin A 13% Vitamin C 3%
Calcium 1.6% Iron 8.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. For the filling: In a bowl add the apple slices, apple drink mix, water, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla and sugar. Let this this sit for about 10 mins.
3. In a small bowl, combine the cornflour in water and set aside.
4. After 10 mins, drain the apple juice from the bowl and set aside.
5. In a skillet, melt half of the butter, saute the drained apple slices for 1 minute. Pour in the reserved apple juice, mix well and let it simmer until soft.
6. Add the cornflour paste, mix well and let it cook on low heat for 3-4 minutes or until it thicken. Add in the other half butter, melt it and stir in the blueberries. Let this simmer for 2 minutes. Switch off flame and cool the mixture.
7. Once cooled down, refrigerate the mixture until the pie is ready to be assembled.
8. For the crust: In a bowl, sift together half of the flour, sugar and salt. Transfer this into a food processor and add half of the butter. Blend it well for 30 seconds until smooth.
9. In the same food processor, add the shortening and other half of the flour, blend well for another 20 seconds and mix well with the other flour mixture.
10. Gradually stir in the ice cold water, mix well with a spoon and form into a sticky dough for the crust. Once done, remove and wrap the dough in a plastic wrap and refrigerate it until firm.
11. Before making the apple pie, remove the dough and cut it into half. On a floured board, place one half of the dough and roll it out into 1/2 inch thickness for the base. Place the rolled out dough into the pie dish and stretch it out to cover the dish.
12. Taking a fork, prick some holes into the base and sides of the dough. Add in the apple filling and even it out in the pie dish.
13. On a floured board, roll out and flatten the second dough for the crust. Using a sharp knife, make small incisions or shapes in the dough, for the air to come out. Place this dough over the filling tightly, cover and seal it using fingers. Discard any extra dough.
14. Bake this apple pie in the over at 350 degrees F for 40 minutes. Once done, remove the dish and let it cool completely for 45 minutes.
15. Slice the apple pie into desired pieces and serve topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.