- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Best Homemade Apple Pie - Easy Pie Crust from Scratch Recipe Video
|Apples||10 , core (newton pippin or granny smith)|
|Ground cinnamon||2 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Constarch||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|White flour||2 1⁄4 Cup (36 tbs) (sifted twice)|
|Shortening||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs) (chilled)|
|Ice water||6 Tablespoon|
Calories 650 Calories from Fat 209
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 24 g36.4%
Saturated Fat 5.8 g29.2%
Trans Fat 3 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 328.3 mg13.7%
Total Carbohydrates 109 g36.2%
Dietary Fiber 8.4 g33.6%
Sugars 59.4 g
Protein 6 g11.2%
Vitamin A 2.8% Vitamin C 19.3%
Calcium 4.4% Iron 14.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
Things You Will NeedMixing bowl
9 inch Pie plate
Apple core peeler
1. Peel and core the apples using the apple core peeler, once done slice the apples and into ¼ inch thick slice.
2. Once done place the apples in the large pot and in a small bowl mix cinnamon, sugar and cornstarch, sprinkle this mixture on the apples and stir.
3. Preheat the oven to 425 degree, just before you start working on the second half of the dough.
4. Prepare a cookie sheet with foil paper.
5. Cover the pot and simmer the apples for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
6. Once done turn off the heat and let the apple cool.
7. Place a wax paper sheet on worktop and using a shifter, shift the flour once, and place it in the bowl.
8. Add salt and then transfer the shifted flour back in the shifter and shift it once again.
9. Add the shortening and using a pastry blender, cut the shortening into the flour.
10. Continue until it looks like small peas, add 3 tablespoon of cold water at a time and mix it together, once incorporated well add some more cold water, keep mixing until you get smooth dough.
11. Roll the dough into a ball, cut the dough into half and place on half back in the bowl and cover it with a damn paper towel.
12. Place the other half of the dough on the pastry cloth and start rolling, dust flour and keep rolling, roll the dough to 9 inch in diameter.
13. Once done using the pastry cloth fold the rolled dough into half circle, and then again fold it again into quarters and once done place the folded dough on the pie plate and unroll the dough.
14. Press the dough in the bottom and pour the cooled apples in the pie dish, add butter on top and keep it aside.
15. Start rolling the other half of the dough follow the same steps and ensure you roll it little larger than the pie plate.
16. Follow the same steps to fold and once you fold the dough into quarters, take a butter knife and make three 1 inch slits one inch apart in the folded ends of the dough. These slits allow steam to escape.
17. Unfold the dough and place it on the apples, cover the pie and trim the excess dough.
18. Seal the edge of the pie by tucking the top crust under the bottom crust to seal the edge and keep the juices in.
19. Once done place 2 inch wide strips of foil around the edge of the pie.
20. Put the pie on a cookie sheet and bake in the preheated oven for 50 minutes.
21. Remove the foil strips after the first 30 minutes so that the edges will brown nicely. Bake till pie is a nice golden brown.
22. Serve the apple pie after a hearty meal.