- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Apple Layer Cake Recipe
|Butter/Margarine||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Sugar||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Egg yolks||3 , beaten|
|Grated lemon rind||1 Tablespoon|
|Sifted flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Baking powder||2 Teaspoon|
|Dry crumbs||1 Cup (16 tbs) (bread or cracker)|
|Apples||4 Large, peeled, cored and sliced|
|Chopped pecans||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Melted butter/Margarine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
Calories 683 Calories from Fat 291
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 33 g51.1%
Saturated Fat 18.8 g94.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 144.4 mg
Sodium 292 mg12.2%
Total Carbohydrates 94 g31.3%
Dietary Fiber 5.1 g20.3%
Sugars 60 g
Protein 7 g14.3%
Vitamin A 20.3% Vitamin C 11.9%
Calcium 15.5% Iron 13.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Beat together butter and 1 cup sugar until fluffy and then add yolks and rind.
2) In a bowl, mix together flour, baking powder and salt.
3) Mix flour mixture to butter mixture and add crumbs. Mix until it has a cornmeal texture.
4) Now, divide it into two. Take a 8X12" dish and press one half at the bottom.
Blend together (with pastry blender, knives or finger tips), until like cornmeal.
5) Arrange apple slices over it and sprinkle mixture of 1/2 cup sugar, cinnamon, nuts and butter.
6) Spread the remaining crumb mixture and bake for 45 minutes at 350 degrees.
7) When the cake is baking, make meringue by blending egg whites and sugar.
8) Spread it over cake and brown for 5 minutes at 425 degrees.
9) Slice and serve the cake.