- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Apple Chutney With Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipe Video
|Canola oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Red onion||1 Small, diced|
|Red apple||1 Small, peeled and cored (cut into 1/4 inch)|
|Green apple||1 Small, peeled and cored (cut into 1/4 inch)|
|Apple cider vinegar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Brown sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Red pepper flakes||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Lemon juice||1 Tablespoon|
|Fresh ginger||1 Tablespoon, grated|
|Golden raisins||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Artisan raisin country bread||8|
|Arugula leaves||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
Calories 307 Calories from Fat 81
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 9 g14.1%
Saturated Fat 3.3 g16.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 14.7 mg
Sodium 173.2 mg7.2%
Total Carbohydrates 52 g17.4%
Dietary Fiber 2.9 g11.8%
Sugars 36.1 g
Protein 7 g13.2%
Vitamin A 4.6% Vitamin C 13.6%
Calcium 12.2% Iron 5.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
To make the Apple Chutney
1. In a medium saucepan, heat canola oil over medium-high heat.
2. Add red onions and sauté it for 4 minutes until the onion softens.
3. Add chopped apples and continue to cook for 2 minutes.
4. Add vinegar, sugar, pepper flakes, ginger, lemon juice, raisins and cook for 8-10 minutes.
5. Reduce the heat and let it simmer covered, stirring in occasionally, until the apples are tender for about 1 hour.
To make the Sandwich using the chutney
6. Take slices of the bread, brush canola oil on one side for each of the slices.
7. Place the slices with oil side down on a medium-high pan and lay a cheese slice, arugula leaves and 2 -3 Tbsp (30-45 mL) of the chutney on both the slices.
8. Top with the remaining bread slices.
9. Grill in a panini press or in a frying pan by placing a heavy object like a brick covered with foil on the two sandwiches and cook them until golden brown and the cheese has melted.
10. Arrange on a platter and garnish the sandwiches with some chopped cilantro and accompany with a cup of tomato ketchup.
The chutney can also be used as a condiment with pork or steak.
You can also refrigerate the chutney for future use.