- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Apple Charlotte Recipe
|Fresh white breadcrumbs||4 Ounce (100 Gram)|
|Castor sugar||1 1⁄2 Ounce (40 Gram)|
|Shredded suet||2 Ounce (50 Gram)|
|For apple mixture|
|Cooking apples||1 Pound (450 Gram)|
|Soft brown sugar||2 Ounce (50 Gram)|
|Golden syrup||1 Teaspoon|
|Lemon||1 , rinded|
|Demerara sugar||1 Tablespoon|
|Butter||1⁄2 Ounce (15 Gram)|
Calories 263 Calories from Fat 99
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 11 g17%
Saturated Fat 5.7 g28.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 5.1 mg
Sodium 133.9 mg5.6%
Total Carbohydrates 41 g13.8%
Dietary Fiber 2.7 g10.9%
Sugars 28 g
Protein 2 g3.8%
Vitamin A 2.1% Vitamin C 18.2%
Calcium 4% Iron 4.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) In a small basin, combine the breadcrumbs, castor sugar and suet set aside.
2) In a saucepan, peel, core and slice the apples.
3) Well-butter a 1 1/2- or 2-pint (1-litre) baking dish.
4) In the apple saucpan, add the butter and water and place over low heat.
5) Cover with a lid and stew very gently until the apples are quite soft.
6) Add sugar, syrup and lemon rind and remove from the heat.
7) In the buttered dish, place two-thirds of the crumb mixture and press over the base and sides of the dish.
8) Pour in the apple mixture and top with the remaining crumb mixture.
9) Sprinkle Demerara sugar on top and dot with the butter, cut into small pieces.
10) Place in the centre of a moderately hot oven (375°F, 190°C or Gas No. 5) and bake for about 45 minutes to 1 hour or until crisp-and golden brown.
11) Serve hot with cream.
TIP: Ocassionally, chopped rhubarb, plums or apricots can replace the apples in this recipe.