- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Apple Brown Betty Recipe
|Dry bread crumbs||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Lemon||1 , juiced and rinded|
|Apples||3 , peeled, cored, sliced|
|Melted butter/Margarine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Water||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
Calories 311 Calories from Fat 158
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 18 g27.6%
Saturated Fat 11 g54.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 45.2 mg
Sodium 95.4 mg4%
Total Carbohydrates 39 g13%
Dietary Fiber 4.3 g17.1%
Sugars 25 g
Protein 2 g4.7%
Vitamin A 11.8% Vitamin C 27.3%
Calcium 5% Iron 5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Butter a 2-quart pudding mold or a baking dish.
2. In a 3-quart slow-cooker or crock pot, place a rack or stand and pour about 1 inch of hot water into the pot.
3. Arrange apple slices in a neat manner to cover the bottom of the buttered mold.
4. In a large mixing bowl, combine the crumbs, sugar, cinnamon and lemon juice and rind.
5. Stir until thoroughly blended.
6. Sprinkle the crumb mixture over the apples in the mold.
7. Continue to layer apples and sprinkle crumb mixture until all of it has been used.
8. Drizzle the melted butter over the apple-crumb layers.
9. Cover the mold with foil, seal at rim and tie with string to keep it in place.
10. Place the mold on rack in the pot.
11. Cover the pot tightly with its lid.
12. Steam the pudding on HIGH for about 2 hours or if you are in no hurry, cook on LOW for about 4 hours until apples are tender and crumble is brown and crisp.
13. When done, remove mold from pot.
14. Rest covered for 15 minutes to cool.
15. Serve the pudding warm plain or topped with ice-cream or custard if you like.