- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Annette's Dutch Cabbage Rolls Recipe
|Cabbage head||1 Large|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Lean ground chuck||1 Pound|
|Uncooked quick cooking rice||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Or Raw)|
|Chopped onion||2 Tablespoon|
|Canned sauerkraut||16 Ounce, drained (1 Can)|
|Tomato sauce||8 Ounce (1 Can)|
Calories 526 Calories from Fat 179
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 20 g30.5%
Saturated Fat 0.52 g2.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 52.9 mg
Sodium 1056.4 mg44%
Total Carbohydrates 59 g19.6%
Dietary Fiber 12.1 g48.3%
Sugars 12.6 g
Protein 31 g61.1%
Vitamin A 12.1% Vitamin C 178.3%
Calcium 16.2% Iron 18.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Removing the core from the cabbage head, pull off about a dozen of the large outer leaves for stuffing and rinse in cold water.
2. From the base of each cabbage' leaf cut the heavy stem and in 2 cups of boiling water place leaves to soften.
3. Cover pan and turn off heat to let leaves steam.
4. To prepare the stuffing in a mixing bowl mix ground beef, rice, egg (optional), chopped onion and salt.
5. From the pot carefully remove cabbage leaves and put sauerkraut into the same water for a few minutes while stuffing the cabbage leaves.
6. In the center of each cabbage leaf place a heaping tablespoon of beef mixture, fold over half of leaf, tuck in both ends, roll up, enclosing the mixture and secure rolled leaf with toothpicks.
7. Removing sauerkraut from the hot water, place in a single layer in the bottom of a 2-quart casserole.
8. On the bed of sauerkraut place each roll, folded side down and pour in tomato sauce if desired.
9. Cover with a tight-fitting lid and cook over low heat for 1 hour such that cabbage rolls are firm.
10. Serve as desired.