- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Angel Food Cake, Ermine Icing, and Chocolate Bowls Recipe Video
|Granulated sugar||5 Ounce (for cake + 8 Ounce for icing)|
|Egg whites||8 Ounce (for cake)|
|Cake flour/All purpose flour||3 Ounce (for cake)|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon (for cake + a splash for icing)|
|Almond extract||1 Dash (for cake)|
|Powdered sugar||3 Ounce (for cake)|
|Whole milk||8 Ounce (1 Cup for icing)|
|All purpose flour||1 Ounce (3 Tablespoon for icing)|
|Unsalted butter||8 Ounce (at room temperature)|
|Coating chocolate||1 Cup (16 tbs) (as needed for chocolate bowl)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 4447 Calories from Fat 1749
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 199 g305.4%
Saturated Fat 123.1 g615.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 510.4 mg
Sodium 817.1 mg34%
Total Carbohydrates 621 g207.1%
Dietary Fiber 21 g84.1%
Sugars 461.7 g
Protein 58 g115.5%
Vitamin A 118% Vitamin C 1.5%
Calcium 45.3% Iron 61.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Angel Food Cake : Preheat the oven to 375°F.
2) In a large bowl, sift the cake flour and the powdered sugar together.
3) In a mixer bowl wiped with vinegar, combine the granulated sugar and the egg whites together.
4) Warm up over a double boiler just until the eggs are no longer cold and the sugar has melted (about 80°F).
5) Whip the egg whites until they reach soft peaks.
6) Remove from the mixer and fold in the flour and powdered sugar mixture.
7) Fill an 9 1/2-inch angel food cake pan and bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes or until light golden brown on top and sides and set in the center.
8) Remove from oven and while still hot invert on a wire cooling rack and allow to cool for 1 to 3 hours.
9) Ermine Icing : In a pot, whisk the flour and whole milk together, then cook over a medium-low heat stirring constantly until it becomes thick like a dough then cook for a few minutes longer to make sure the strong starchy flavor is cooked out.
10) Transfer the icing base to another bowl, cover with a plastic wrap over surface of the mixture to avoid skin formation and refrigerate until it cools down to room temperature.
11) In a mixer bowl, add the butter, sugar and vanilla extract. Cream together with a whip attachment until fluffy.
12) Then gradually add the icing base, whip on medium speed until the icing turns almost white.
13) Chocolate Bowl : In a bowl with warm melted chocolate dip the balloon into the chocolate trying to keep the balloon steady and twist it to coat the entire balloon evenly but only about 1/3 of the way up the balloon. Then hold the balloon upside-down for a minute and place the chocolate coated balloon down on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper and refrigerate for about 10 minutes.
14) To make a larger chocolate bowl, take a larger balloon and stand it on a small cup. Then spread some normal coating chocolate and some white chocolate over the balloon. Refrigerate for a few minutes, then spread the second chocolate layer.
15) Stick a piece of tape on the larger balloon, pierce a pin to deflate the balloon for a larger chocolate cup. Similarly pierce a pin on the smaller balloon to get a smaller chocolate cup.
16) Fill the Chocolate Bowls with pieces of Angel Food Cake, sliced strawberries, squeeze in little dollops of the Ermine Icing and serve.