- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Anandi's Bulgur Recipe
|Butter||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Basil||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Fennel seed||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Dry bulgar||2 3⁄4 Cup (44 tbs)|
|Boiling water||3 1⁄2 Cup (56 tbs)|
Calories 1429 Calories from Fat 311
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 36 g54.9%
Saturated Fat 20.1 g100.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 80.6 mg
Sodium 1587 mg66.1%
Total Carbohydrates 254 g84.8%
Dietary Fiber 61.8 g247.2%
Sugars 1.9 g
Protein 44 g88.2%
Vitamin A 26.3% Vitamin C 3.1%
Calcium 20.3% Iron 62.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Wash the bulgur wheat in a colander and allow the water to drain.
2. In a large stock pot or heavy bottomed saucepan, melt the butter on a medium flame.
3. When butter is foaming, add the bay leaf, spices and herbs and sauté for 2 minutes.
4. Add the soaked bulgur and sauté for 5 minutes until the flavors of the spices and aromats are absorbed.
5. Pour in the boiling water and stir in the tamari, and seasonings.
6. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pot and simmer for almost and hour or until the bulgur is cooked.
7. Check the bulgur for doneness without stirring it.
8. Take the pot off the heat and cover the pot with a tight lid. Allow the bulgur to continue cooking in the steam and the flavors of the spices and herbs to be absorbed.
9. Dish out into a serving dish or casserole dish with a cover.
10. Serve hot along with a stew or curry.