- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Anadama Bread Recipe
|Milk||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Yellow corn meal||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Molasses||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Light or dark)|
|Water||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Granular yeast/Compressed yeast||30 Gram (2 packages)|
|Sifted flour||5 Cup (80 tbs)|
Calories 375 Calories from Fat 61
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 7 g10.7%
Saturated Fat 2.1 g10.6%
Trans Fat 0.6 g
Cholesterol 4.5 mg
Sodium 417 mg17.4%
Total Carbohydrates 69 g23.1%
Dietary Fiber 2.5 g10.1%
Sugars 11.9 g
Protein 9 g17.6%
Vitamin A 0.9% Vitamin C 0.01%
Calcium 9.6% Iron 22.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Preheat oven moderate to 375°.
2. In a saucepan mix milk, cornmeal and salt. Boil the mixture stirring constantly.
3. Decrease heat and cook for 5 minutes.
4. Add molasses, shortening, and mix.
5. Keep aside until lukewarm.
6. In a bowl keep warm (110°) water and sprinkle granular yeast over it.
7. Alternately in a bowl crumble compressed yeast into lukewarm (85°) water.
8. Stir in softened yeast to cornmeal mixture.
9. Stir 2 cup water and whip.
10. Mix remaining flour and mix to make stiff dough.
11. On a lightly floured boards turn the dough. Keep aside for 10 minutes.
12. Knead for 10 minutes until smooth.
14. Grease a bowl and turn the dough into it.
15. Cover the bowl and keep in warm place (80° to 85°) to rise for about 40 minutes.
16. Turn on a floured board without punching down.
17. Divide in 2 and shape into 2 loaves.
18. Grease 9x5x3" pans and keep the loaves in it.
19. Cover the bowl and keep aside for 40 minutes to let rise until double.
20. Bake in oven for 50 minutes.
21. Turn out of pan and cool on racks.
22. Serve warm.