- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
An Old Fashioned Cheese Pastry Recipe
|Cheese||3 1⁄2 Ounce, shredded and mashed to a paste|
|Flour||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Eggs||2 , beaten|
|Water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Butter||7 Tablespoon, softened|
Calories 466 Calories from Fat 285
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 32 g49.8%
Saturated Fat 19.6 g97.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 188.2 mg
Sodium 289.6 mg12.1%
Total Carbohydrates 30 g10.1%
Dietary Fiber 1.1 g4.2%
Sugars 0.4 g
Protein 14 g27.2%
Vitamin A 20.5% Vitamin C
Calcium 20.4% Iron 13.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Preheat oven to temperature of 400 degrees.
2) On a board, put the flour and make a well in the center.
3) Into the center, add the water, salt and eggs and use your fingers to incorporate the ingredients into the flour.
4) For about 10 minutes, knead the dough till it is springy.
5) Allow the dough to rest in a cool place for about 30 minutes.
6) On a floured board, roll out the dough to a thickness of ½-inch.
7) Work together the butter and cheese and form the mixture into a ball.
8) In the center of the prepared pastry, place the ball and fold the pastry over the cheese mixure. Enclose by sealing the edges.
9) Roll the pastry once again to a thickness of 12-inch and then fold it in half.
10) Turn the dough to 90 degrees and roll it out once again to make the first turn.
11) Allow the pastry to rest for about 15 minutes in the fridge.
12) Take the pastry out of the fridge and repeat the folding and rolling process twice more. After each fold and roll process, chill the dough and turn the pastry 90 degrees in the same direction every time.
13) Liberally butter a pie plate of 8 inches and put the pastry in it.
14) In the preheated oven, bake the pastry for about 35 minutes, till it is golden brown in color.
15) Put the pastry on a serving platter and serve while it is still hot. Makes a good appetizer and can be accompanied with a light, green salad.