- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Amish Vegetable And Noodle Soup Recipe
|Roaster chicken/Turkey carcass with neck and giblets (except liver)||1 , chopped into large pieces|
|Celery ribs||3 Medium, cut into 1/2-inch slices|
|Carrots||2 Medium, cut into 1/2-inch rounds|
|Onion||1 Large, chopped|
|Canned chicken broth||46 Ounce (1 Can, About 6 Cups)|
|Chopped parsley||1 Tablespoon|
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Dried thyme leaves||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Black peppercorns||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Boiling potatoes||2 Medium, scrubbed and cut into 1-inch pieces|
|Wide egg noodles||1⁄2 Pound|
|Crumbled saffron threads||1⁄4 Teaspoon (Optional)|
|Coarsely chopped cooked chicken/Turkey||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
Calories 813 Calories from Fat 286
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 32 g49%
Saturated Fat 8.8 g44.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 199.2 mg
Sodium 757.7 mg31.6%
Total Carbohydrates 50 g16.5%
Dietary Fiber 4.6 g18.3%
Sugars 6 g
Protein 81 g162.4%
Vitamin A 79.9% Vitamin C 34.7%
Calcium 9.6% Iron 25.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Into a large stockpot or Dutch oven over high heat boil carcass pieces, celery, carrots, onion and broth in enough water to cover carcass, skimming off foam.
2. Then lowering the heat add parsley, salt, thyme, bay leaf and peppercorns and let it simmer, covering partially for 2 to 3 hours.
3. The simmering time can be reduced to 30 minutes when carcass is not included.
4. Using the tongs, transfer the pieces of carcass on to a dish or a container and add it to soup after cutting the meat and discarding the bones.
5. Raising heat to medium, add potatoes and let it cook for 10 minutes such that it is almost tender.
6. Then add noodles and let it cook for 10 minutes longer such that noodles are tender.
7. Optionally add saffron and chicken and let it cook for more 2 minutes or such that the chicken is heated through.
8. Serve warm on a platter with optional garnish.