- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Ambrosia Angel Food Cake Recipe
|Lemon pie filling||4 1⁄4 Ounce (1 Packet)|
|Orange juice||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Grated orange rind||1 Tablespoon|
|Grated lemon rind||2 Teaspoon|
|Unflavored gelatin||1 Teaspoon|
|Whipping cream||1 Pint|
|10 inch angel food cake||1|
|Sifted icing sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Almond extract||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Flaked coconut||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2704 Calories from Fat 1737
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 195 g299.9%
Saturated Fat 134.1 g670.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 692.3 mg
Sodium 701.1 mg29.2%
Total Carbohydrates 184 g61.5%
Dietary Fiber 9.8 g39.3%
Sugars 124.8 g
Protein 11 g21.6%
Vitamin A 6.3% Vitamin C 159.9%
Calcium 34% Iron 10.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2) Make the lemon pie filling as per directions on its packet using 1/2 cup orange juice instead of 1/2 cup water.
3) Add in orange and lemon rind, mix well and allow it to rest at room temperature.
4) Set aside a cup of lemon pie filling for later use.
5) Dissolve gelatin in a tablespoon of water and let stand for a few minutes. Place over a larger bowl of boiling water and stir till the gelatin dissolves completely. Let cool.
6) In a bowl, whip up 1 pint of cream until stiff. Set aside half of this for later use.
7) Slowly pour in the gelatin into the remaining 1/2 pint of whipped cream, whipping continously until stiff peaks are formed.
8) Add in lemon pie filling into the gelatin-cream mixture and continue whipping to get a smooth blend.
9) Place the Angel Food Cake on the chopping board. Slice off its top carefully and scoop out its centre to fill in with the lemon-cream mixture. Place the top slice back on and chill the cake for about 4 to 8 hours.
10) Into the 1/2 pint of whipped cream set aside earlier, add in icing sugar, vanilla extract, almond extract and beat to get a stiff consistency.
11) Add a few drops of water into 1/2 cup of lemon pie filling to make the consistency thin. Spread the thinned out lemon pie filling on top of the cake.
12) Toast the flaked coconut in a baking pan in the oven, till it turns golden brown. Keep stirring the pan intermittently.
12) On the sides of the cake, neatly spread out the whipped cream and sprinkle toasted coconut over the cream.