- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Almond Twist Coffee Cake Recipe
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (1/2 Stick)|
|Blanched almonds||1 Cup (16 tbs), ground|
|Zwieback||7 , ground|
|Light brown sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), firmly packed|
|Egg white||1 , slightly beaten|
|Almond extract||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Coffeecake dough||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Ready For Shaping)|
|Butter/Margarine||2 Tablespoon, melted|
|Sliced blanched almonds||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3169 Calories from Fat 1608
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 184 g283.1%
Saturated Fat 52.1 g260.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 185.5 mg
Sodium 215.7 mg9%
Total Carbohydrates 319 g106.3%
Dietary Fiber 47.7 g190.7%
Sugars 67 g
Protein 91 g181.3%
Vitamin A 43.3% Vitamin C
Calcium 66.8% Iron 55.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Turn into bowl. Add brown sugar, egg white and almond extract, mixing well.
3. Make Twist: Roll dough into a 20-by-12-inch rectangle. Brush with 1 tablespoon melted butter. Cut lengthwise into two strips.
4. Spread half of each strip crosswise with some of almond filling; fold over other half. (You now have two rectangles, each approximately 10 by 6 inches.)
5. Spread top of rectangles with more filling, reserving 3 tablespoons filling for later use. Press down lightly, so filling will adhere.
6. Starting with a corner, roll each rectangle diagonally toward opposite corner. Pat reserved filling evenly over surface of one roll. Place rolls parallel. Overlap at one end; pinch together. Twist rolls together, to form a rope.
7. Brush top with remaining melted butter. Place on greased cookie sheet. Cover with towel; let rise in warm place (85°F), free from drafts, until double in bulk—about 1 hour.
8. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350F In small bowl, beat egg white with water. Use to brush surface. Sprinkle with sliced almonds.
9. Bake 35 minutes, or until golden-brown. Cool on wire rack.