- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Almond Sugar Twist Recipe
|Milk||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (1 Stick)|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Active dry yeast||1⁄4 Ounce (1 Envelope)|
|Warm water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Sifted all purpose flour||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Almond paste||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Cold water||3 Tablespoon|
|Sliced almonds||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3451 Calories from Fat 1320
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 152 g234.2%
Saturated Fat 66.6 g333.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 670.5 mg
Sodium 1171.2 mg48.8%
Total Carbohydrates 457 g152.3%
Dietary Fiber 20.2 g80.8%
Sugars 150.9 g
Protein 73 g145.1%
Vitamin A 67.1% Vitamin C 0.24%
Calcium 48% Iron 129.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a small saucepan, scald milk adding ¼ cup butter or margarine, ¼ cup sugar and salt over a moderate heat. Cool till lukewarm
2. In a large bowl place moderately hot water and sprinkle yeast. Stir till all the yeast is dissolved and then add the milk mixture.
3. In a small bowl, beat eggs, reserving 2 tablespoon for later use.
4. Add eggs to the yeast mixture, slowly add the 2 cups of flour beating continuously in vigorous motions until smooth. Then add the remaining flour, beating to form a smooth dough.
5. In a large greased bowl, place the dough and cover with a clean towel. Put in a warm place and allow to rise for 1 ¼ hour or until the dough become double in bulk
6. In a small bowl combine almond paste with remaining 1/2 cup butter or margarine, 3 tablespoons of remaining sugar, and 2 tablespoons of the cold water. Stir to form a paste.
7. By now the dough has risen. Punch the dough. On a lightly floured pastry board, knead until smooth and elastic.
8. Roll out to a rectangle, 20x10; spread with almond filling almost to edges. Starting at one long side, roll up, jelly-roll fashion. Place one end in the center of a greased large cooky sheet, then coil roll loosely round and round to make a "snail;" tuck, end under.
9. Cover with a clean towel and allow to rise again for 30 minutes, or until double in bulk.
10. Stir remaining 1 tablespoon water into saved beaten egg. This forms a pasty glaze before baking
11. Brush over "snail;" sprinkle with sliced almonds and remaining 1 tablespoon sugar.
12. Bake in moderate oven (375°) 30 minutes, or until golden and loaf gives a hollow sound when tapped.
13. Remove from baking sheet and cool on a wire rack.
14. Serve warm or cold with big pot of hot tea or coffee