- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Gazelle Horns Covered with Sesame Seeds / "Kab-El-Ghazal": Moroccan Almond Cookies Recipe Video
|For the almond paste|
|Blanched slivered almonds||1 Pound|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Orange blossom water||2 Tablespoon|
|Cinnamon powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Mastic gum||1⁄8 Teaspoon, ground (Grind with a little sugar until powdery)|
|For coating the cookies|
|Egg whites||4 Medium (As needed)|
|Sesame seeds||1 Cup (16 tbs) (As needed)|
Calories 213 Calories from Fat 138
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 15 g23.3%
Saturated Fat 1.9 g9.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 3.2 mg
Sodium 10.5 mg0.4%
Total Carbohydrates 16 g5.5%
Dietary Fiber 2.9 g11.7%
Sugars 11.3 g
Protein 7 g13.6%
Vitamin A 0.8% Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 12% Iron 9.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
Things You Will Need1. Food processor
2. Baking sheet
3. Parchment paper
To prepare the almond paste:
1. Using a food processor, mix the blanched almonds and sugar.
2. Once the almond mixture is of a powdery texture, add orange blossom water, butter, cinnamon and ground mastic gum, mix well until you get a smooth paste.
3. If the almond paste is too dry, add another tsp of orange blossom water. You will get a smooth almond paste that can be molded and shaped.
4. Shape the almond paste into rolls that are 3 inches long and 1/2 an inch wide. You can make 35 cookies with the prepared almond paste.
5. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
6. Take a bowl with egg whites and another bowl with sesame seeds in it.
7. Preheat oven to 350 F.
8. Dip the prepared cookies one at a time in egg whites and then roll them in the bowl with sesame seeds, mold into a crescent like shape and arrange them on the baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
9. Bake in the preheated oven for about 10 - 15 minutes. Allow the cookies to cool before serving.
10. Serve with mint tea and enjoy.
When the cookies are hot, they are soft, when they cool they become chewy.