- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Algerian Couscous Recipe
|Onions||2 Large, chopped|
|Onions||2 Large, chopped to make 2 cups|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Chicken||2 1⁄2 Pound|
|Broiler fryer chicken||2 1⁄2 Pound (1 Bird)|
|Lean lamb||1 Pound (1 1/2 Inch Cubes)|
|Carrots||4 , pared (1 Inch Pieces)|
|Ground ginger||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Cinnamon stick||3 Inch|
|Salt||1 Teaspoon (For Couscous)|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs) (For Couscous)|
|Couscous||17 3⁄4 Ounce (1 Package Or 2 3/4 Cups)|
|Zucchini slice||4 Small, rinsed, cut 1/2-inch slices|
|Zucchini slice||4 Small, cut 1/2-inch slices|
|Tomatoes||2 , chopped|
|Canned chickpeas||1 1⁄4 Pound, drained (1 Can)|
|Raisins||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Seedless raisins||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Butter/Margarine||6 Tablespoon, melted (3/4 Stick)|
Calories 1399 Calories from Fat 680
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 76 g117.2%
Saturated Fat 29.8 g148.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 313.2 mg
Sodium 1305 mg54.4%
Total Carbohydrates 91 g30.3%
Dietary Fiber 14.2 g57%
Sugars 43.4 g
Protein 92 g183.1%
Vitamin A 237.4% Vitamin C 84.4%
Calcium 19.5% Iron 46%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) In a large skillet, saute the onions in oil for about 5 minutes, until golden. Then remove and place in a deep narrow kettle or a stock pot.
2) In the same skillet, brown the chicken and lamb and transfer into the stock pot and keep aside.
3) Stir in water, bring to a boil, scrape off the brown bits and pour over the meat.
4) Stir in the carrots, salt, pepper, ginger and cinnamon, then allow the mixture to boil.
5) In 1 cup water, dissolve the salt, then sprinkle about 1/2 cup over a large bowl with couscous to moisten.
6) In a large finemesh sieve, place the couscous and set on edge of stock pot over the stew, cover tightly with foil and simmer for 40 minutes.
7) Remove the sieve, then stir the zucchini, tomatoes, chick peas and raisins intothe stew.
8) Sprinkle the couscous with rest of the salted water, stir with a fork and set the sieve over the stew.
9) Simmer for another 30 minutes or until the meats and vegetables are tender.
10) In a large bowl, remove the couscous and drizzle over melted butter or margarine, toss well to mix.
11) Spoon stew in the center of a deep platter, surround with the steamed buttered couscous and serve immediately.