- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
African Sweet Potato Stew Recipe Video
|Sweet potatoes||800 Gram, peeled and cut into chunks|
|Tomatoes||450 Gram, chopped|
|Red beans/Lentil||400 Gram, canned|
|Red capsicum||1 Medium, deseeded and chopped|
|Onion||1 Medium, finely chopped|
|Peanut butter||3 Tablespoon|
|Ginger||1 Tablespoon, chopped finely|
|Garlic cloves||2 , crushed|
|Green chiles||2 Medium, sliced (Optional)|
|Cumin powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Cinnamon powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground black pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Vegetable stock cube||1|
|Vegetable oil||2 Teaspoon|
Calories 656 Calories from Fat 82
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 10 g14.9%
Saturated Fat 1.7 g8.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 434.6 mg18.1%
Total Carbohydrates 117 g39.1%
Dietary Fiber 25 g100%
Sugars 17.5 g
Protein 30 g60.5%
Vitamin A 596.5% Vitamin C 114.1%
Calcium 19% Iron 50.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Peel the sweet potatoes and using a sharp knife, carefully cut them in chunks.
2. In a large pot, heat vegetable oil and add onions and garlic, and sauté for about 5 minutes or until onions are soft.
3. Add the sweet potatoes, tomatoes, drained beans, peanut butter, ginger, spices, salt, water and stock cube. Stir well to mix.
4. Allow the vegetable mixture to come to a boil, then cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
5. Add the red capsicum and chilies, stir to mix and simmer for 5 minutes.
6. Serve African Sweet Potato Stew hot with fresh bread if desired.
Sweet potato is a good source of beta carotene, which is converted by our body into vitamin A.