- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Achiote Pork Recipe Video
|Achiote powder||7 Ounce|
|Red paste||1 Teaspoon|
|Red onion||1 Medium, sliced|
|Lime juice||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Banana leaves||3 Medium (for wrapping)|
|Salt||1 Teaspoon (FOR PICKLED ONION)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2096 Calories from Fat 727
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 82 g125.6%
Saturated Fat 27.8 g139.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 830.1 mg
Sodium 3875.4 mg161.5%
Total Carbohydrates 34 g11.3%
Dietary Fiber 2.3 g9.4%
Sugars 8.5 g
Protein 290 g580.4%
Vitamin A 3.3% Vitamin C 95.1%
Calcium 25.5% Iron 69.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Slice the onion thinly.
2. In a bowl, 1 cup of onion slices. Keep aside the remaining.
3. Pour hot water over it. Let it sit for 5 minutes.
4. Strain the onions and put it back in the bowl. Add salt and lime juice.
5. Allow it to sit in the refrigerator for few hours.
6. Take a crock pot. Line it with banana leaves.
7. Place the pork loins on the banana leaves and put the remaining sliced red onions over it.
8. In a blender, take the achiote paste and lime juice. Blend it till smooth.
9. Pour this mixture over the pork loin and onions.
10. Fold the banana leaves to wrap the ingredients to cover completely.
11. Cook on low heat for 6 hours or till the meat is tender enough to pull apart.
12. In a serving plate, place a whole wheat tortilla. Pull apart some pork loin and put it on the tortilla.
13. Add the pickled red onions.
14. Fold the tortilla and serve.
The pork loins can also be served with cooked rice or bread.
If you require more spice, then add some of the liquid from the cooked pork loin.