- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Aloo Bhakarwadi (Potato pinwheels) Recipe Video
|For the filling|
|Shredded coconut||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Sesame seeds||1 Tablespoon|
|Curry leaves||1 Tablespoon, roughly chopped|
|Turmeric powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Boiled and mashed potato||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Garam masala||1 Teaspoon|
|Red chili powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon (Use as required as per taste)|
|Coriander powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Lemon juice||1 Teaspoon|
|For the layers|
|All purpose flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Wheat flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Oil||3 Tablespoon (Use as required)|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Use as required to knead the dough)|
|Flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (For dusting)|
|Oil||1 Cup (16 tbs) (For deep frying)|
Calories 403 Calories from Fat 294
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 33 g51.4%
Saturated Fat 5.3 g26.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 159.1 mg6.6%
Total Carbohydrates 24 g8%
Dietary Fiber 3.4 g13.8%
Sugars 0.8 g
Protein 4 g8.3%
Vitamin A 0.7% Vitamin C 1.7%
Calcium 4.7% Iron 8.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
To prepare the filling:
1. Take a heavy bottom pan, heat oil in it, to this add the shredded coconut, sesame seeds and stir till the coconut is lightly browned.
2. Add the roughly chopped curry leaves, turmeric powder, boiled and mashed potato, garam masala, salt, sugar, red chili powder, coriander powder and some freshly squeezed lemon juice.
3. Using a potato masher, mash the potatoes again so that all the spices blend well into it. Turn off the heat and let it cool.
To prepare the layer of bhakarwadi:
4. Take a mixing bowl and combine the all purpose flour and the wheat flour. Add oil, salt and continue mixing to combine.
5. Gradually add the water and knead the dough to a little harder consistency than the roti or chapati dough. Finally smooth out the dough with a couple of drops of oil.
6. Cover the dough and let it rest for 5 to 10 minutes.
7. After 10 minutes, take small portions of the dough and roll into rounds and spread the filling like a paste on the surface of the rolled dough.
8. Then start rolling it from one end tightly and firmly into a pipe shape, cut 1-inch pieces and dust the open edges with flour.
9. In a pan, heat oil and deep fry the bhakarwadi till golden brown and drain into a paper towel.
10. Serve the bhakarwadis warm as a snack.