- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
A Lighter Southern Meal Recipe Video
|Long grain brown rice||1 Cup (16 tbs), cooked, drained (for salad)|
|Black eyed pea||1 Cup (16 tbs), cooked, drained (for salad)|
|Red bell pepper||1 Large, chopped (for salad)|
|Beans||1 Cup (16 tbs), blanched (green and yellow for salad)|
|Scallion||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped (for salad)|
|Cider vinegar||2 Tablespoon (for dressing)|
|Brown sugar||1⁄2 Teaspoon (for dressing)|
|Thyme||1⁄2 Teaspoon (for dressing)|
|Olive oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (for dressing)|
|Bacon||1 Cup (16 tbs), chopped (for fish breading)|
|Seasoned bread crumbs||1 Cup (16 tbs) (for fish breading)|
|Cornmeal||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (for fish breading)|
|Fresh parsley||2 Tablespoon, finely chopped (for fish breading)|
|Catfish fillet/Tilapia filets||1 Pound|
|Salt||1⁄2 Teaspoon (to taste)|
|Pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon (to taste)|
|All purpose flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (as required to coat fish)|
|Egg||2 , beaten|
|Vegetable oil/Olive oil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (for frying)|
|Baby spinach||100 Gram|
|Tea bag||50 Gram (for sweet tea (8 bags))|
|Peach||1 , chop (for sweet tea)|
|Honey||2 Teaspoon (for sweet tea)|
|Mint leaves||2 Teaspoon (for sweet tea)|
|Pecans||1 Cup (16 tbs), ground|
Calories 1446 Calories from Fat 672
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 77 g118.1%
Saturated Fat 10.7 g53.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 151.3 mg
Sodium 749.2 mg31.2%
Total Carbohydrates 143 g47.7%
Dietary Fiber 21.7 g86.9%
Sugars 12.1 g
Protein 53 g105.4%
Vitamin A 81.5% Vitamin C 114.3%
Calcium 21% Iron 73.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. For salad, in a large mixing bowl, add brown rice, black eyed peas, red bell pepper, beans, and scallion. Mix it well.
2. For dressing, in blender, add cider vinegar, brown sugar, and thyme. Blend well.
3. In a bowl, transfer the puree. Mix.
4. Gradually pour olive oil into the thyme puree, whisking continuously.
5. Pour dressing over salad. Toss, and keep it aside.
6. For fish breading, in bowl, put bacon, seasoned bread crumbs, cornmeal, and parsley. Mix to combine.
7. On a tray, place fish fillet, and season it with salt and pepper.
8. Coat fillet with flour. Shake and remove extra flour from it.
9. Now, dip it in egg wash. Get your fillet completely covered with egg.
10. Place the fish in bacon mixture, press to have a nice crust. Flip and repeat.
11. In a pan, heat oil, place fish in it, and cook for about 2 minutes each side or until crisp.
12. For sweet tea, in a sauce pan , boil water with tea bags. Allow it to sit for 10 minutes.
13. Place it in refrigerator and let it to cool for an hour.
14. Stir in honey. Add peach and mint. Mix well.
15. On serving platter, place spinach, top it with salad, and place fish on it.
16. Serve fish and salad with sweet tea.
For dressing, instead of pureeing you may also simply mix the ingredients together.
If you are in a hurry, you can put the fish in oven and crisp it.