- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
A Goose with Golden Apples Recipe
|Oven ready goose||10 Pound (1 Goose, 4-4 1/2 Kilogram)|
|Onions||2 , chopped|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), crushed|
|Lemon||1 Large, sliced|
|Dry cider||1 1⁄2 Pint (600 - 900 Milliliter)|
|Ground cinnamon||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground cloves||2 Pinch|
|Ground nutmeg||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Butter||2 Ounce (25 - 50 Gram)|
|For the apples|
|Golden delicious apples||8 Small|
|Almonds||4 Ounce, ground (100 Gram)|
|Sugar||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon (1/2 Teaspoon Extra Required)|
|Powdered saffron||1 Teaspoon (Extra Required)|
|Orange flower||1 Teaspoon|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Currants||10 Milliliter (1 Dessertspoon)|
Calories 1581 Calories from Fat 1225
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 136 g209.6%
Saturated Fat 40 g199.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 328 mg
Sodium 282.7 mg11.8%
Total Carbohydrates 24 g8%
Dietary Fiber 4 g16.1%
Sugars 16.1 g
Protein 63 g125.8%
Vitamin A 7.7% Vitamin C 45.1%
Calcium 9.4% Iron 57.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Discard the excess fat from inside the bird.
2) Stuff the chopped onion, crushed garlic and sliced lemon in the inner cavity of the bird.
3) Boil the cider with the spices, add over the bird and marinate for at least 4 hours, or overnight if that appears easier.
4) Ladle over the marinade regularly, and make sure that there isenough inside the bird.
5) If you have refrigerated it or taken it from a cold larder, allow it to stand to reach room temperature before cooking.
6) Pour off the marinade and retain to one side, but allow the vegetables to remain inside the bird.
7) Roast the goose on a rack in a pan for 15 minutes per pound (450 g) at Gas Mark 4/350°F/180°C.
(It has a better and sweeter taste when still a little pink.)
8) During cooking, drain off the fat and reserve it, but do not baste the bird.
9) Brown the giblets in a little of the goose fat, add all of the marinade and cook over a moderate heat for about 45 minutes, or until it is rich and starting to reduce.
10) Strain through muslin or a very fine sieve, and allow to keep warm.
11) Core the apples and score a line right round them through the skin, about one third from the top.
12) Combine the almonds, sugar, saffron, orange flower water and currants together with a spoonful or more of the hot goose fat and stuff the apples.
13) Add more goose fat over them, and bake in an ovenproof dish at the bottom of the oven for 30-45 minutes -they should be only justcooked through when the goose is ready.
14) Once the goose is ready, remove from the pan and allow to stand, covered lightly, for at least 15 minutes, so that it sets nicely.
15) Drain off the remaining fat from the pan and add any accumulated cooking juices to the giblet-marinade gravy, and reduce this further so that there is a few spoons of sauce left per person.
16) A few minutes before serving, gently remove the top part of the cooked skin of the apples,showing off the white cooked pulp.
17) Combine the egg yolk with the extra saffron and the extra touch of sugar.
18) Brush this mixture over the exposed apples and replace in the oven for just 5 or so minutes until firm.
19) Fold the 1-2 oz (25-50 g) butter into the sauce over a moderate heat.
20) Arrange the goose with its golden apples on a serving dish, ladle the spiced sauce into a hot jug and take to your festive table to serve straight away.