- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
A Chicken In Every Pot Pot Pie Recipe
|Canned fat free reduced sodium chicken broth||14 1⁄2 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Boneless skinless chicken breast||12 Ounce, trimmed of all visible fat|
|Chopped onions||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), sliced|
|Sliced leeks||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (White Part Only)|
|Sliced green onions||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (White Part Only)|
|Sliced mushrooms||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Sliced carrots||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Evaporated skim milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Poultry seasoning||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground black pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Frozen peas||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Chopped fresh parsley||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|For buttermilk biscuit topping|
|All purpose flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Baking soda||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Chopped fresh parsley||1 Tablespoon|
|Poultry seasoning||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Light butter||2 Tablespoon, cut into small pieces (Chilled)|
|Low fat buttermilk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
Calories 270 Calories from Fat 50
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 6 g8.8%
Saturated Fat 2.9 g14.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 48.2 mg16.1%
Sodium 417.1 mg17.4%
Total Carbohydrates 34 g11.4%
Dietary Fiber 3.6 g14.2%
Sugars 6.6 g
Protein 20 g40.2%
Vitamin A 106.9% Vitamin C 37.3%
Calcium 17.8% Iron 18.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. To broth in saucepan add onion, leeks, and carrots. Simmer 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add mushrooms. Simmer 5 minutes more.
3. Meanwhile, in screw-top jar combine evaporated skim milk, flour, poultry seasoning, salt, and pepper. Cover tightly. Shake to mix to smooth paste. Stir into vegetable mixture. Stir over medium heat until sauce thickens, 2 to 3 minutes.
4. Shred chicken into small pieces. Add with peas and parsley to thickened sauce. Set aside.
5. Preheat oven to 450°.
6. Biscuit topping: In medium bowl mix together dry ingredients with parsley and poultry seasoning.
7. Using pastry blender, 2 knives used like scissors, or fingertips, work butter into flour mixture until mixture is coarsely crumbed. Make a well in center. Pour buttermilk into well. Toss gently with fork until flour mixture is just moistened. Do not overmix. Dough will be sticky. Turn dough out onto well-floured surface. With floured hands, knead very gently once or twice to bring dough together.
8. Roll with rolling pin or lightly pat dough out to 1/2-inch thickness. Dip 2 1/2-inch biscuit cutter into flour. Use to cut out biscuits. Use straight motion. Do not twist cutter. Dip cutter into flour between cuts. Gather scraps together lightly. Cut out more biscuits for a total of 6, or more than 6 if using smaller cutter.
9. Reheat chicken mixture until simmering. Immediately transfer to 2-quart casserole. Use spatula to lift biscuits on top.
10. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until biscuits have risen and are golden brown.