- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
A Cake for Spring Recipe Video
|Egg white||4 Large (or 4 3/4 Ounces for white velvet butter cake + 8 Pasteurized (for buttercream))|
|Whole milk||8 Ounce (or 1 Cup for white velvet butter cake)|
|Vanilla extract||2 Teaspoon (for white velvet butter cake + 1 1/2 Teaspoon (for buttercream))|
|All purpose flour||10 Ounce (for white velvet butter cake)|
|Granulated sugar||10 Ounce (for white velvet butter cake + 4 3/4 ounce for strawberry filling + 10 ounces (for buttercream))|
|Baking powder||19 Gram (1 Tablespoon + 1 Teaspoon for white velvet butter cake)|
|Salt||5 Gram (3/4 Teaspoon for white velvet butter cake)|
|Unsalted butter||6 Ounce (at room temperature for white velvet butter cake + 1 Pound 12 Ounces for buttercream)|
|Strawberry||2 Pound, frozen, pureed (for strawberry filling)|
|Cornstarch||1 Ounce (for strawberry filling)|
|Lemon juice||2 Teaspoon, freshly squeezed (for strawberry filling)|
|Grand marnier||1 Teaspoon (for strawberry filling) (Optional)|
|Powdered sugar||7 Ounce, sifted (for buttercream)|
|Matcha green tea powder||1 Ounce, sifted (for buttercream)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 4809 Calories from Fat 1328
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 151 g232.6%
Saturated Fat 92.2 g460.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 388.4 mg
Sodium 3775.3 mg157.3%
Total Carbohydrates 820 g273.3%
Dietary Fiber 26.1 g104.5%
Sugars 539.3 g
Protein 57 g113.8%
Vitamin A 91.9% Vitamin C 896.8%
Calcium 189.8% Iron 107.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) White Velvet Butter Cake : Preheat the oven to 325 to 350°F.
2) Line two 9-inch cake pans with parchment paper squares and grease thoroughly.
3) In a bowl, whisk 2 ounces milk, egg whites and vanilla extract together.
4) In the mixer bowl, sift the dry ingredients together and mix on low speed with paddle attachment for 30 seconds to blend.
5) Add the remaining milk and butter. Mix on low speed until the ingredients are moistened, then increase speed to medium and beat for 1 1/2 minutes to aerate.
6) Scrape down the sides and add the egg mixture in batches, beating for between each addition and scrape down the sides in between.
7) Pour the batter into prepared cake pans and bake in the preheated oven for 25 to 35 minutes or until done.
8) Cool the cakes in pans on wire racks for about 10 minutes, then release then and allow to cool down completely on wire racks.
9) Strawberry Filling : Thaw the frozen strawberries, save any juice or liquid. Puree the strawberries in a foodprocessor and strain. Use a fine strainer if you want to remove the seeds. Stir in with the reserved juice and sugar.
10) Whisk together the cornstarch with about 1/2 cup of the puree.
11) Bring the sauce to a gentle boil on medium to medium-high heat then whisk in the cornstarch. Continue to whisk constantly until the filling has boiled for 1-3 minutes.
12) Remove from heat, then stir in the lemon juice and the grand marnier.
13) Matcha Green Tea Swiss Buttercream : Prepare a double boiler with a pot with 1-2 inches of water brought to a simmer. Wipe out the electric mixer bowl, the stainless steel bowl,and whip attachment with a paper towel dampened with vinegar.
14) In the electric mixer bowl, combine all of the egg whites and the granulated sugar. Whisk together gently just to combine. Bring the sugar and egg white mixture to the double boiler and stir gently until it reaches at least 120 degrees F.
15) Remove from the heat and place on the electric mixer with the whip attachment and whip to medium to stiff peaks.
16) Once the meringue has reached medium to stiff peaks add in the vanilla extract and then add the butter, starting on low speed and increasing to high speed until the icing comes together.
17) Divide the icing into two batches, transfer 75% icing into a separate bowl. To the 25% icing add in 1 3/4 ounce powdered sugar, whip the mixture and set aside.
18) Sift together the remaining powdered sugar and matcha green tea powder. Add powdered sugar on low speed until completely incorporated.
19) Place the cake on a turn table with a piece of damp paper towel to hold the cake in place. Decorate the cake with matcha green tea buttercream, pipe out border along the edge of the cake so that it prevents the filling from spilling outside the cake.
20) Spread the strawberry filling on the surface of the cake. Then carefully slide off the top layer of cake.
21) Spread a cup of the matcha green tea buttercream and spread on top of the cake and smoothen the icing.
22) Cover the sides of the cake with the remaining buttercream. Smoothen the buttercream and then complete rest of the decoration with pink icing and buttercream flowers.
23) Slice and serve the Cake for Spring to welcome spring season.