- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
15 Bean and Ham Soup Recipe
|Regular 15 bean soup mix||1 Pound (or 1 (1 lb) bag cajun 15 bean soup mix)|
|Onion||1 Large, chopped|
|Garlic cloves||5 Large, minced|
|Canned tomatoes||15 Ounce, crushed|
|Celery stalks||3 Large, chopped (leaves included)|
|Ham hock||2 Large (or 1 ham bone, with meat still on it)|
|Dried parsley||1 Tablespoon|
|Dried rosemary||1 Teaspoon, crushed (crush with fingertips before adding this releases the flavor)|
|Cracked black pepper||1 Teaspoon|
|Salt||1 Teaspoon (or to taste)|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Chicken bouillon cubes||2 Medium|
Calories 2206 Calories from Fat 1370
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 152 g234.4%
Saturated Fat 43.2 g216.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 330 mg
Sodium 2080.3 mg86.7%
Total Carbohydrates 121 g40.4%
Dietary Fiber 45.2 g180.8%
Sugars 13.5 g
Protein 130 g260.5%
Vitamin A 27.7% Vitamin C 40%
Calcium 27.8% Iron 50.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Wash the beans; put in large pot and cover with water. Bring to boil; stir and remove from heat. Cover and let sit 1 hour. After that hour, drain beans and set aside.
2. Add oil to pot. Sauté your ham hocks, onion, and celery until tender.
3. Next add garlic and sauté 2 minutes more.
4. Add your beans and cover with water (about 2 inches over top of beans).
5. Add tomatoes with the juice, parsley, rosemary, black pepper, bouillon cubes, and about 1 teaspoon of salt to start with.
6. Mix well. Bring to boil; stir, reduce heat cover and simmer for 2 to 21/2 hours or until all the sizes of the beans are tender.
7. Keep watching it and stirring it every once in a while. You may need to add more water; you want it to keep a consistency a little thicker than a soup.
8. Taste it after it cooks--you may need more salt or pepper.
9. During the last 15 minutes of cooking, add the flavor package that comes with the beans.
10. Serve by itself or over rice.