Kosher Yeasted Sweet Dough
Preparation time: 90 min |
Warm water - 1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)
Yeast - 14 Gram (2 packets)
Soy milk - 1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) , lukewarm
Sugar - 1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)
Salt - 1 Teaspoon
Egg - 3
Margarine - 1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)
All purpose flour/Bread flour - 5 Cup (80 tbs)
1. In a large mixing bowl, add warm water, 2 tablespoon sugar , and yeast. Stir to dissolve. Let it rest for 3-4 minutes or until the yeast is nice and firm.
2. Throw butter, sugar, salt, egg, and milk.
3. Insert ½ of the flour in it, and with hand mixer, blend well to incorporate.
4. Add the remaining flour, a little at a time, stirring continuously. Your dough should be soft, it shouldn’t be too sticky or stiff.
5. Sprinkle flour on table top, and knead the dough by hand for about 10 minutes or until smooth. Dough should stretch without tearing.
6. Grease a bowl, and place the dough upside down. Then, flip to have the oiled side up. Cover it with tea towel. Set it aside until it rises.
7. Take the dough out, knead it again. Divide it into two parts, knead it into round balls, cover it with towel again, and allow it to rest for another 10 minutes.
8. Bake dough with your choice of filling, cut it into slices and serve.
If you want to make real babka then you can use butter, and real milk instead of soy milk.