Classic Plum Pie with Custard
Preparation time: 40 min |
Cooking time: 75 min |
Plums - 2 Pound , stoned and thickly sliced (900 Gram)
Golden caster sugar - 5 Ounce (140 Gram, Plus Extra)
Golden caster sugar - 1 Tablespoon (Extra Required)
Ground cloves - 1⁄4 Teaspoon
Cornflour - 1 Ounce (1 Heaped Tablespoon)
Flour - 1 Tablespoon (For Dusting)
Shortcrust pastry - 500 Gram
Egg - 1 , beaten to glaze
Egg yolks - 4
Caster sugar - 3 Ounce (85 Gram)
Milk - 9 Fluid Ounce (250 Milliliter)
Double cream - 9 Fluid Ounce (250 Milliliter)
Vanilla pod - 1 , seeds scraped
1) Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/gas mark 6.
2) Place a large baking sheet in the oven to heat up.
3) In a pan, place the plums, sugar and cloves together.
4) Simmer for 8 to 10 minutes until the sugar is dissolved and plums are juicy.
5) In a bowl, blend the cornflour with a little of the juice, then stir into the pan.
6) Stir continuously and boil for a few minutes, until thickened.
7) Custard : In a bowl, blend the egg yolks and sugar together.
8) In a pan, heat the milk, cream and vanilla until almost boiling.
9) Then gently pour in the egg mixture, whisking constantly.
10) Return to another pan and heat gently, stirring, until the mixture is thickened and coats the back of a spoon.
11) Allow to cool quickly, then chill thoroughly.
12) Roll out 2/3 of the pastry on a floured surface and line a pie dish with the pastry slightly hanging over the edges.
13) Spoon in the with plums mixture.
14) Roll out rest of the pastry, about 2.5cm larger than the dish, then drape over the plums.
15) Pinch edges together well, then make a small vent in the top.
16) Brush the top with egg and sprinkle with sugar.
17) Place the pie dish on the hot baking sheet.
18) Bake in the preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes until golden brown.
19) Slice and serve the hot Classic Plum Pie with Custard immediately.