Slice And Bake Oatmeal Cookies
Cooking time: 10 min |
All purpose flour - 1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)
Baking soda - 1 Teaspoon
Salt - 1⁄2 Teaspoon
Shortening - 1 Cup (16 tbs)
Granulated sugar - 1 Cup (16 tbs)
Firmly packed brown sugar - 1 Cup (16 tbs)
Eggs - 2
Vanilla extract - 1 Teaspoon
Quick-cooking oats, - 3 Cup (48 tbs)
Pecans - 1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) , chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degree F before baking.
2. In a large mixing bowl, place the butter and beat with an electric mixer until soft.
3. Gradually add sugars, beating until the mixture is light and creamy.
4. Blend in the eggs and vanilla, adding them a little at a time and beating well after each addition.
5. Sift flour, baking soda and salt into a bowl then add to the creamed mixture in batches, beating at low speed until well blended into dough.
6. Mix in the oats and pecans
7. Turn the dough out onto a flour dusted surface and knead lightly with your finger tips.
8. Divide into two equal portions and roll each into 12 inch logs
9. Tightly wrap both in wax paper and refrigerate or freeze overnight until firm or until required. This can be kept for 1 month in the freezer.
10. Remove logs from the refrigerator , unwrap and slice each into 1/4 -inch thick slices, using a sharp serrated knife.
11. Arrange the slices on cookie sheets, leaving 2 inch space between each.
12. Bake them in the preheated oven for 8 to 12 minutes
13. Remove from oven and cool cookies slightly on baking sheets then slide them to on a wire rack to cool.
14. Enjoy these cookies warm with tea or coffee.
Store baked cookies in a wax paper lined air tight container, in a cool dry place.