Global warming, speeding lifestyle, the fast-food rush, the meaty-pies-stealing-the-eye, sinful indulgences, ailments blowing out of proportion to encroach on your life-line; with Healthy living but a narrow channel of hope in the shadow of ignorance. How to kickstart to set things right? The first step is to Go Green, become a vegetarian. It means you get rocking with the spirit of becoming a vegetarian.
Plant foods have long been extolled for their multifold benefits on human health. Additionally, nutrients derived from plants (fruits, vegetables, seeds etc) are pure and wholesome with no unwanted accompaniments, which so happens in the case of animal meat.
The "Green" wins hands down from all quarters, leaving behind the "danger of red" in the animal kingdom itself.
How does becoming a vegetarian benefit health-wise?
Vegetarianism holds the secret of a youthful living. You keep diseases at bay by giving your body optimal nourishment with less of wastage.
Here is how:-
• Plant foods are more nutritious with lesser fatty content. The bad cholesterol is chiefly produced by consuming animal fat and high cholesterol is directly linked to coronary heart diseases.
• More so, animal meat only supplies B-vitamins, whereas plant-foods ‘bathe’ in the entire vitamin pool.
• The incidence of kidney stones, gall stones, osteoporosis, multiple sclerosis, arthritis, obesity, gum disease, acne. diabetes increases with the consumption of animal products especially meat.
• Plant foods while decaying are more ostensible emanating a bad flavor and taste, whereas in the case of decayed meat, the rotting signs are camouflaged. So food poisoning is highly incident in the case of meat.
• Meat when cooked produces benzenes and other carcinogenic compounds whose toxicity is well established and Cancer as a killer degenerating disease is perpertrated in the human body due to prolonged consumption of such products. Whereas plant foods are fortified with antioxidants which trap the cancer-causing free radicals in the body and also bolster the immune system. Meat in any form or type come no way near to replace these natural health –supplements provided by plants. One reason to "get rocking, get vegetarian" as plant foods are a fort of health.
• Animal proteins have long been hailed for their health benefits but the flip side is that excess proteins can lead to the release of nitrogen in the blood, which hamper the system functioning.
• Another clean way paved by becoming a vegetarian is that plant –products are not vulnerable to pathogens as compared to animal meat. Parasite infestation is high in pork and other meats. In fact, tapeworms find their way to the human blood through pork mainly. The more dangerous breed of tapeworms namely the dog tapeworm whose eggs are implanted in the brain causing seizure and eventually death if left unattended, also traces its breeding to the pig’s intestines.
• Moreover livestock bred for human consumption are treated with drugs and hormones to make fatty meat. And being higher on the food chain, the level of agricultural chemicals in animal meat is higher(from soil, plants, animals).
• Apart from nutrients your diet should also be a rich source of fiber. Fiber-content in plant foods helps to flush out the wastes from the body, provides bulk and also absorbs excess fat. Fiber also helps in the peristalsis(bowel movements) of the intestine.
• Plant foods are natural detoxifying agents. A vegetarian diet can help you with any detox regimen through fruit/vegetable juices, which can help your body, remove the toxic wastes. By becoming a vegetarian , you can make your dream of ‘in and out cleansing of your body system', come true.
Fruits, vegetables, cereals, grains, pulses etc, the supply of vegetarian foods is aplenty with variety on offer. You could even conjure up ways to think of healthy and yummy vegetarian recipes or use our references for the same. There is beauty, health and definitely wisdom in getting to rock with vegetarianism.
Photo Courtesy : libguides.llu.edu