Iced Raspberry Sponge
1/3cup fine sugar
1/2 cup flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
250 g (8 oz) raspberries
2 egg whites
1/2 cup sugar
2/3 cup whipping cream, whipped
150 ml (2/3 cup) Melba frosted raspberry leaves
1. Grease and line an 18 cm (7 inch) square cake tin.
2. Place the eggs and sugar in a bowl and beat with an electric whisk, until thick and mousse-like.
3. Sift the flour and cinnamon together, then carefully fold into the whisked mixture.
4. Turn into the prepared tin and bake in a preheated oven, 190°C/375°F, for 25-30 minutes, until the cake springs back when lightly pressed. Cool on a wire rack.
5. To make the filling, rub the raspberries through a nylon sieve to remove the pips.
6. Whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks form, then gradually whisk in the sugar. Fold in the raspberry puree and the cream.
7. Split the cake in half horizontally. Place the bottom half in the cleaned cake tin. Spoon the filling over the top, spreading evenly to the edges. Cover with the remaining sponge, pressing gently together. Cover with foil and freeze for about 3 hours, until firm.
8. To serve, dip the bottom of the tin in cold water to loosen the cake and turn out. Cut in half lengthways, then into slices.
9. Place the sponge slices on chilled plates, pour over the melba sauce and decorate with the frosted leaves.