Type 2 diabetes diet is designed for people who are suffering from this type of diabetes which is caused by insulin resistance resulting in the inefficient usage of the insulin produced by the body. Diabetes is a common disease these days and type 2 diabetes is the chronic form of it ( the type 1 form of diabetes being the condition in which insulin is not produced by the body at all). A diet consisting of fresh fruits, vegetables, whole grains and dairy products as well as healthy lifestyle plays a major role in controlling and getting relief from the condition.
Type 2 Diabetes: Overview
Diabetes type 2 is a lifelong disease in which the blood sugar levels shoot high. In this form of diabetes, the body stops responding properly to insulin and this condition is also referred to as insulin resistance. The fat, liver and muscles do not respond to the insulin, due to which the blood sugar is not stored in the cells and thus, the cells are deprived of energy. The level of sugar in the bloodstream keeps increasing and this condition is referred to as hyperglycemia.
Overweight people are more likely to have this type of diabetes as the fat in their body creates insulin resistance.
The disease occurs gradually and it has been found that most of the people are overweight at the time of its diagonosis. Poor diet, high blood pressure, gestational diabetes history, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome and less physical activity are also the factors contributing to type 2 diabetes. People with this condition usually have blurred vision, restlessness and fatigue, increased appetite, and excessive urination.
Type 2 Diabetes Diet: Food Recommendations
- Whole grains- 6-11 servings of whole grains are recommended when following type 2 diabetes diet. Breads, cereals, beans and oats are good foods to be relished at this time.
- Vegetables- Vegetables are rich source of nutrients and fiber and thus, should be included in the daily diet. Tomatoes, lettuce, spinach, cabbage and broccoli are some of the recommended vegetables.
- Fruits- Two to four serving of fruits daily can be taken by type 2 diabetes patients. Peaches, oranges, bananas, pears and apricots are some of the recommended fruits.
- Dairy products- Low fat milk and yogurt can be consumed while following the diabetes type 2 diet.
Type 2 Diabetes Diet Plan: Restrictions
- Calorie- Calorie intake monitoring is a must while suffering from diabetes. A lower calorie intake results in weight loss, reduced triglycerides and low blood sugar levels. Fruits, vegetables and lean meats should be consumed but that too in moderation.
- Sugar and carbohydrates- Whenever sugar is consumed, insulin takes it to the cells where it is converted to energy. But in the case of type 2 diabetes, insulin is unable to move the sugar and as a result, the sugar level keeps increasing in the blood stream. Therefore, candy, cakes, ice cream and sweet drinks should not be consumed while following the type 2 diabetes diet. Also, refined and general carbohydrates intake should be restricted as carbohydrate leads to weight gain. White breads, pasta, biscuits should be avoided completely.