Type 1 diabetes diet comrpises foods designed for people suffering from Diabetes Type 1. A person is said to have diabetes or is diabetic when his/ her body is unable to produce or make full use of insulin hormone, which is essential for making the glucose reach cells and thus enable energy production. When insulin is less, the glucose stays in blood causing an increase in blood sugar levels, which might further lead to health problems related to heart, eyes, nervous system and kidneys. Selecting a diet that helps in keeping glucose level low during diabetes is very important.
Overview- Type 1 Diabetes
This type of diabetes is also called as juvenile diabetes or insulin dependent diabetes and is mostly common to small children and youth. In this type, the body does not produce insulin and thus daily insulin is injected. Diet and exercise are much needed to control this diabetes. Genetics and virus exposures are considered to be the two common factors contributing to this problem. Increase in appetite, weight loss, low stamina, blurred vision, frequent urination, and increased thirst, are some of the signs to type 1 diabetes.
Food Recommendations- Type 1 Diabetes Diet
Balancing the diet with proteins, carbohydrates and fat is very important during diabetes and can be done easily with the help of a medical practitioner. Here are some of the foods that are highly recommended in a diabetes diet.
- Wholegrain foods- 6 or more servings per day of whole grain breads, crackers, low-fat breads like pita bread, tortillas, and bagels is recommended.
- Vegetables- Starchy vegetables, yellow and green color vegetables like spinach, romaine, peppers, broccoli and carrots must be consumed more. 3-5 servings per day of these vegetables should be consumed.
- Fruits- Whole fruits like oranges, grape fruits and tangerines are best consumed while following Diabetes diet. These fruits are rich in fiber and also contain vitamin C. Fruit juices with sweeteners must be avoided. At least 2-4 servings per day of fruits are suggested.
- Dairy products- Milk (low fat or no fat), and yogurt can be eaten but in moderation. Also, yogurt with added sweeteners should be restricted completely.
- Fish and meat- 2-3 servings of meat, fish and eggs are recommended while following the diet for diabetes type 1. However, lean cuts of beef, pork, veal should be selected, also all the fat should be removed before preparation. The suitable cooking methods are baking, roasting, boiling and grilling. Frying should be avoided.
Restrictions- Type 1 Diabetes Diet
- Alcohol- Alcohol must be completely restricted while following the diabetes diet.
- Fatty foods- Foods containing high levels of saturated fats like butter, margarines, cheese, hamburger and bacon should be completely avoided.
- Sweets- Sweets are a rich source of fat, and sugar and can worsen the condition, and hence should be completely restricted. Sugar-free sweets can however be consumed but that too in moderation.