A tonsillectomy diet is a diet to be followed by a person on whom the surgical procedure of tonsillectomy has been performed. Tonsillectomy involves removal of tonsils from the throat, which is done to relieve the patient from acute tonsillitis, sleep apnea, snoring, nasal obstruction and other related conditions. A post-surgery diet includes foods that can be easily chewed or swallowed.
Tonsillectomy Diet Plan: Foods to Consume
The following foods should be included in the diet of a patient on whom tonsillectomy has been performed-
- Ice Cream: This is very widely recommended as a part of the post surgery diet, much to the delight of children on whom the surgery is very often performed. People suffering from poor digestion, nausea and vomiting should, however avoid dairy products. Ice creams should also be avoided in excess, especially if they are causing build-up of mucous.
- Clear liquids like soda, apple juice, Jell-o or Popsicle. These are known to reduce nausea and vomiting, as well as digestive discomfort after surgery.
- Cold foods and drinks, as they decrease pain and swelling in the throat. Fruit juice is a good option but citrus fruit juices should not be consumed. Chilled drinks from the refrigerator should first be allowed to stay outside till the temperature has increased a bit.
- Soft and mild foods like soft pasta, mashed potatoes, applesauce, pudding, etc.
- Scrambled eggs, which have a bland taste and will provide extra protein needed by the body.
Tonsillectomy Diet Plan: Foods to Avoid
Patients who have undergone tonsillectomy surgery should avoid the following foods-
- Citric acid drinks or sour drinks like lemonade, orange juice and tomato juice, which cause pain and sting in the affected area.
- Hard, crunchy or crispy, sharp edged foods like chips, crackers, pizza, etc. Such foods can cause cuts and bleeding in the throat where surgery has been performed.
- Popcorn, as the corn kernels may get caught in the affected region of the throat
- Spicy foods that may cause pain and burning sensation
- Hot drinks should not be included in a tonsillectomy diet, as they will cause burning sensation in the throat.