Tartar sauce, Tartare sauce or sauce tartare, is a white, thick , creamy, mayonnaise based sauce, normally used as an accompaniment with seafood. It is tangy in flavor and derives its name from a culinary tradition of France which means “in the style of the Tatars” where Tatars signifies a group of Mongolians known for their cooking.
History of Tartar Sauce Recipe
Tartar sauce is said to have originated in France and was first made by a French person to accompany steak tartare, which is popular chopped raw steak dish of France. The time of its invention is not confirmed though the sauce has its mention somewhere in the 1800s.
Method Of Preparation and Ingredients Used: Tartar Sauce Recipe
For making the Tartar sauce, the ingredients required include mayonnaise, capers, gherkins, shallot, lemon juice, parsley and black pepper. The ingredients are mixed well in a large mixing bowl and allowed to chill in the refrigerator.
Culinary Use of Sauce of Tartare
- Sauce of Tartare is usually served with seafood.
- The sauce also pairs well with fried foods, rice, tacos and burgers.
- This thick mayonnaise sauce is used for making stir frying vegetables.
- It makes a tasty accompaniment with barbequed foods.
- The sauce is popular as dipping sauce in Eastern Chinese cuisine and is commonly served with spring rolls and prawn toasts.
- It makes a perfect marinade for chicken before barbecuing.
- Sauce of Tartare is also used as a dressing for fruit and vegetable salads.
- The sauce is used as a spread for making sandwiches.
Variations in Sauce of Tartare
Chopped hard boiled eggs, olives and radish are also added to make this sauce. Mustard sauce is sometimes used to enhance the taste and texture of this sauce. Worcestershire sauce, cayenne pepper, vinegar, pickled cucumbers are also added at some places depending on the personal taste. This sauce is easy to make and is usually made using homemade or commercially made mayonnaise.
Buying and Storing Tartare Sauce
The sauce is easily available at the supermarkets and comes in jars. While buying the sauce, the manufacturing and expiry date should be checked. If the sauce is bit stained or there is a bubble formation in the jar, the sauce should be considered stale. Once bought, it can be kept in the refrigerator for 3 months if not opened. However, once opened, it is advisable to consume it fast. When made at home, the sauce should be stored well in a jar with a tight lid and should be consumed in a week’s time.
Nutritional Value Of Tartare Sauce Recipe
Tartar sauce has a high sodium and fat content. The sauce has 22 calories and negligible fiber.
Trivia- Tartare Sauce
Tartar sauce does not contain any cream of Tartar.