- » Tamil
Tamil food considered to be the cradle of Dravidian culture with rich foods that are made from a variety of ingredients. The cuisine is indigenous to the Tamil Nadu region of India.
Historical and ... More »
Mint leaves have a pleasant warm, fresh, aromatic, sweet flavor with a pungent aftertaste. This thick mint chutney is a commonly prepared in all Tamil homes during the summer. They say it is good for stomach aches and chest pain! Reap the wonderful health... - 126.813
If you have never tasted the Indian rasam, then you are definitely missing something. It is so tangy and so tasty that you will remember this forever. Watch this video to learn the easy technique of preparation. If you don't enjoy the tart taste, you may add... - 117.514
Ven Pongal Making Made Easier
Ask any Tamilian what he would like to have for breakfast; Ven Pongal will be his answer. Indeed no true Tamilian can refuse a bowl of hot steaming pongal. This one-pot rice and lentil dish is a traditional breakfast meal. It’s hot, spicy, comforting and... - 115.647
Chettynad Pepper Chicken
All of you, who love your chicken cooked to be hot and spicy, here is one great alternative. This hot and spicy chicken preparation comes from Chettinad, a place of South India. Watch the video to learn the step-by-step cooking procedure. You can control the... - 110.82
A festival delight made out of freshly ground rice flour and jaggery offered to the Gods. As far as I can remember my grandma used to make these the best.....crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside. Although the ingredients list is simple enough the... - 109.787
Vegetarian Fish Curry
Chettinad cuisine is mostly known for its non-vegetarian specials but all the veggie lovers out there are going to love this fish(fake fish) curry,also this curry is a vegan delight. - 107.679
Mom's Chettinad Chicken Curry
This Chettinad pepper chicken recipe is a contribution by my mother-in-law and is said to run in her mom's family for generations. Freshly ground spices gives this recipe an irresistible aroma that is sure to win your hearts so have a look at the video to... - 107.422
Sabudana Vada Or Wada (tapioca Balls)
Why not try out some delicious and crispy sabudana vadas? Take a look at this impressive video that demonstrates a recipe for sabudana vada. The video is nicely explained and would surely inspire you make sabudana vada in your kitchen. Amaze your friends with... - 106.725
Chickpeas Curry - Sundal Kolambu
1.Soak white chick peas in enough water overnight.
2. Into a round pan transfer the soaked chick peas, add salt and let it boil for 12 minutes.
3. In a hot pan, add butter, oil, mustard seeds, fennel seeds, cumin seeds, cloves, garlic,... - 104.095
Roasted Pumpkin Soup
1. Preheat the oven at 350 degrees F. Grease 2 baking sheet with the help of paper towel.
2. Place pumpkin over a chopping board, cut the pumpkin with the help of melon knife.
3. Scoop out the seeds and remove the stem. Cut in wedges with... - 103.087
1. Place a large saucepan on medium flame, and heat oil in it.
2. Drop curry leaves, fenugreek seeds, fennel seeds, cumin seeds, and urad dal in it. Fry for about 30 seconds or until seeds pop and urad dal is golden brown.
3. Throw onion, garlic,... - 103.061
Mavillaku - Edible Devotional Lamps
1.Start by soaking the rice in a cup of water for 20 minutes.
2.In a ziplock bag, take the jaggery and the cardamom and pound it with a mallet.
3.Drain the rice and spread on a kitchen towel to dry.
4.Once it is almost dry, grind the... - 102.03
Sweet-sour Don Q Limon Madras
Relax with some sweet-sour rum concoction after a hard day's work with Don Q rum. Nice, easy with a neat flavor, you simply can't go wrong with this drink. Although you might think it to be sour, you will be pleasantly surprised by its sweet notes. Stream the... - 100.453
Traditional Tamil-style Paal Kozhukattai
Learn how to make traditional Tamil style Paal kozhukattai in a healthy way. While most recipes use jaggery or raw sugar as a sweetener, this recipe uses agave which balances out the sweetness of the rich coconut milk. Watch the video and learn how to make... - 98.9878
South Indian Poori Kilangu/potato Curry
1. Soak the chana dal in hot water for 10 minutes, drain and set aside.
2. Microwave the potatoes in the oven for 5 minutes.
3. In a pan, heat olive oil and add urad dal, mustard seeds, cumin seeds,fennel seeds and the soaked chana dal.... - 98.0142
Paruppu Vadai/ Masal' Vada - South Indian Style Lentil Fritters
1. Soak the chana dal in water for 2 hours.
2. In a blender, add the soaked chana dal, red chilies, salt and little water for grinding. Grind them coarsely and not into a paste.
3. In a bowl, remove the batter from the blender, add in... - 95.5347
Keerai Poriyal - Fried Spinach
1. For rough spinach leaves, microwave it in the oven for 3 minutes, under 50% power.
2. On a chopping board, chop all the microwaved spinach leaves.
3. In a pan, heat butter, add urad dal, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, green chilies,... - 94.5003
Ven Pongal/ Spicy Rice Pongal
1. In a bowl add 4: 1 ratio of rice and moong dal, wash, drain and add twice the amount of water (4 cups) and salt.
2. Place this bowl in the microwave oven for 35 minutes at 80% power.
3. In a pan, heat oil, butter, add urad dal,... - 92.0917
Chicken Chettinad (one of the few ways to get the "authentic" flavour) - 91.5424
Pudina Chutney (mint Pesto) Fudino Chutney
All those who are fond of making different kinds of chutney, should surely try this one. Chef Bhavna shows how to make mint chutney. It's so easy to make and can be served with various Indian snacks. Do try out this recipe and don't forget to watch the video. - 88.7596
A South Indian specialty done street food style (from Tamil Nadu). To all Non Tamil speaking people: the dish is so simple that it needs no narration whatsoever. - 87.4691
Tangy Pudina Chutney
Pudina chutney is probably one of the most popular accompaniment to Indian snacks and starters and is substitute for tomato sauce. Watch the video to learn how to make South Indian Style spicy pudina chutney made with roasted dal and spices and fresh... - 83.0573
Tamil Curd Rice
Ask a South Indian what he would like to have on a hot and muggy day and the answer undoubtedly will be “Curd Rice.” This is a comfort food during the hot summer months when everyone craves for eat something cooling, light and nutritious. Serve it cold... - 80.1387
Thattai Making Made Easier
South India is famous for its variety of savory snacks. Thattai is probably one them, second most popular to murukku. There are so many recipes for making thattai, but it is important then this fried snack turns out crispy more than crumbly and porous. Watch... - 78.0699
Want to try out some Indian delicacy, here is a traditional sweet dish popular in Southern India. Check out Kalyan getting ready to make Sakkari Pongal the traditional festive preparation of Tamil Nadu made during the harvest season. Watch the following video... - 75.0297
Sakkarai Pongal 6
With the lentils and rice boiling for a while it is time to check the doneness and proceed. Check out chef Kalyan adding sweetness using jaggery and sugar into the rice and lentil mixture. Watch the following video to know the finishing details. - 74.7149
Sakkarai Pongal 5
With the lentils and rice begun cooking it is time to get it seasoned. Check out chef Kalyan mixing ground spices with the rice and lentils boiling with sugar and jaggery . Watch the following video to know the finishing details. - 74.3273
Sakkarai Pongal 8
With the lentils and rice cooking well with flavor is time to get it finished. Check out chef Kalyan garnishing the lentils and rice cooking with jaggery and sugar with roasted nuts. Watch the following video to know the finishing details. - 74.2808
Sakkarai Pongal 4
With the ingredients ready to cook the pongal, it is time to begin cooking. Check out Kalyan cooking the lentils and rice in a stock pot with water. Check out the following video to know the following steps. - 74.1096
Sakkarai Pongal 3
Being ready to make the pongal it is time to prepare the other ingredients. Check out Kalyan roasting lentils and rice and grinding some spices to make the pongal. Watch the following video for the next steps. - 74.0389
Sakkarai Pongal 7
The pongal is ready in a typical vegan fashion eliminating the addition of milk unlike the conventional recipe. Check out Kalyan suggesting the inclusion of soy milk in the dish in place of the normal milk. - 73.8741
Sakkarai Pongal 2
Once ready, it is time to get to cooking the dish. Check out Kalyan heating some vegetable fat on the stove to begin with the preparation. Watch the following video to know the following steps. - 73.7558
Adai, the way I make it, is packed with protein and makes an excellent snack, school-lunch and an equally good meal. It can be served with Coconut Chutney, Butter, Sambar or for some, Jaggery! It is quick to make and unlike Dosa, it does not require as much... - 55.5916
Chettinad Muttai Kuzhambu (chettinad Egg Curry)
Different types of egg curry is made in chettinad. Mostly if it is for lunch poondu vengaya kuzhambu is made and egg is added in the end. In this curry egg will get the hot and sour taste of the gravy. - 53.5224
Chilly paratha is a quick and yummy little recipe to turn the dull and boring looking cold chapatis into an interesting filling meal. It is essentially a plain paratha shredded into small, bite-sized pieces mixed with sauteed onions, tomatoes, and chili... - 52.3645
Chettinad Kozhi Rasam
Chicken Rasam is very popular in Chettinad cuisine.This Rasam though spicy is an excellent home remedy for common cold. - 52.3106
Mochai Kottai Kaara Kulambu
This Field bean curry is one of my favourite curries. Healthy and flavourish dish loved by all. Try and enjoy! - 51.2816
Butter Murukku (butter Rice Chakli)
Butter Murukku is South Indian Deepavali delicacy. But savoured in all times as a snack due to its excellent flavor and crispy taste. Try it and enjoy!! - 50.1403
Madras Vegetable Stew
1) Peel onions and cut in 2 halves. Slice the halves into 1/4 inch thick slices and put aside.
2) Thoroughly wash broccoli and pat dry. Trim the stalk and cut florets into uniform 2 inch pieces.
3) If using summer squash, wash and chop into 1/2... - 49.8181
Spicy Chicken Masala
This dish is south indian special, from Karaikudi, Tamilnadu. Called chettinadu chicken curry. Very spicy dish that wakes up your senses.. Enjoy!! - 49.2303
1. Wash and slice tomatoes.
2. Peel and slice onion.
3. Peel and grate carrot. Grate coconut.
4. Place tomatoes, onion and carrot in a heavy pan.
5. Add hot stock or boiling water. Add pepper and salt.
6. Cook till vegetables are almost done.
7. Add grated... - 49.0508
1.In a pan, heat butter and saute onion until soft.
2.Add flour and curry powder and cook for 2 more minutes by stirring.
3.Put stock, tomato puree, cooking apple, sultanas, salt, black pepper in it.
4.Let the ingredients cook for 8 minutes on low... - 48.9538
Vazhakkai Kola Urundai
The vazhakkai kola urundai is a snacky preparation that is often prepared and served in south india. Made with raw bananas, the vazhakkai kola urundai is a deep fried pakoda like preparation that may be served as an accompaniment to meals too. The kola... - 48.7446
Vermicelli Kitchdi (semiya Upma)
Vermicelli Kitchdi is a very simple, quick breakfast. Vermicelli will be easily available in any indian store, can be bought and stocked for months. Try this and enjoy! - 48.6786
Tomato Garlic Soup
Tomato garlic soup is a very healthy dish. Basically a south indian recipe and part of everyday menu. Enjoy! - 48.3628
Toor Dal Curry Balls
ToorDal balls Curry is a very tasty and healthy dish. Try it and enjoy !!! - 48.2529
Chicken Curry Chettinad Style
Remove and discard skin from chicken.
Wash and cut into 2" cubes.
Rub salt into chicken and set aside.
Heat oil in a non-stick kadhai or wok over moderate heat.
Add whole spices and fry till spices are fragrant and start crackling.
Add onions and fry till... - 48.0158
Paruppu Urappu Adai
Paruppu urappu adai is a tasty, hot, spongy pancake. Its a exact stomach-filling healthy breakfast for a good change. Enjoy!! - 47.6281
Madras Chicken Curry
1) Heat oil in a skillet and deep fry the chicken pieces on all sides till they turn golden brown.
2) Put the chicken in a bowl and remove skin and bones. Cut the meat into small chunks. Keep aside.
3) In the remaining oil add onions and... - 47.4796
Rice & Lentil Pancakes
Rice & Lentil Pancakes has a lovely taste. Rice & Lentil Pancakes gets its taste from rice mixed with lentils and flavored with curry leaves. Rice & Lentil Pancakes is loved by many people around the world. - 47.3256
Madras Chicken Salad
1) In a bowl, add all the dressing ingredients together, stir to blend well and keep aside.
2) In a large heavy pot, place the carrot, celery, parsley, peppercorns, bay leaf and water together, allow to boil.
3) Stir in the chicken breasts and... - 47.1842
This vegetable biryani can be had by itself or with tomato kulambu or masala or onion curd raita. - 47.0803
Badam Araitha Keerai Kootu
The badam araitha keerai kootu is a cooked lentil preparation from south india that is made with three lentils and spinach. Cooked together with almond paste and spices like green chilies, asafoetida and turmeric. Served hot it goes best with rice or rotis. - 46.9829
* Method for doing puli kaaichal paste :
* Soak the tamarind in 2 cups of water and leave it for 15 mins or heat in microwave for 30 sec. Then squeeze out and take 3 cups of the tamarind water.
* In pan pour oil, put the dry red chillies cut into 2 pieces... - 46.8127
Dosa Green Chutney
Dosa Green chutney is a very easy, tasty and quick dish for an ideal indian style breakfast. Try and enjoy!! - 46.6866
This mullu murukku is an easy snack and the same type is available in Indian grocery stores in US. Try it, you will stop buying the one in Indian stores. - 46.6139
Spicy And Juicy Madras Fish Curry
This is one of my Mom's best dish. Best results will be seen when cooked in a mud pot. Nothing can beat this dish when we have this with hot hot Dosa or Idly. - 46.5861
This is a very famous south indian side dish. All vegans luv this dish for its taste & nutritional value..In Tamil "paruppu" means "dal/lentils" and "usili" means "Broken Crumbles". Hence named it as 'lentil crumbled veggie curry'.This can also be prepared... - 46.5663
Vegetable And Dal Kulambu
1. Clean red gram and boil with peanuts in 4 cups of water.
2. Clean and cut brinjal, potatoes and tomatoes.
3. Add to the cooked red gram and peanuts, and simmer till done.
4. Roast coriander, cumin, peppercorns, fenugreek, Bengal gram, black gram and red... - 46.4618
Madras Curried Meatballs
1) In a large bowl, mix the breadcrumbs, ½ cup of water, the chuck and 2 teaspoons of the curry powder, beef with the salt and pepper
2) Also add in salt, ½ teaspoon of ginger, ¼ teaspoon of pepper
3) Using a fork lightly blend the mixture together... - 46.3348
Madras Chicken Pilau
Wash chicken and cut into serving pieces.
Place in a 2-quart saucepan with 3 cups water, onion, 2 teaspoons of the salt, and the peppercorns.
Cover and cook slowly for 1 hour, or until chicken is tender.
Soak rice in 2 cups water for 30 minutes.
Stir... - 46.312
Kovaikkai Badam Poriyal
Kovaikkai badam poriyal is a sauted preparation of kovaikkai or ivy gourd with spices and lentils. Flavored with asafoetida, curry leaves and mustard seeds, the kovaikkai badam poriyal can be served along with rice and daal. - 46.2381
Muttai Kara Kuzhambu
Of all the dishes in the Chettinad style who are famous for their kuzhambu's -- a type of indian sambhar, and one such recipe is the Spicy Egg Gravy also called as Muttai Kara Kuzhambu - 45.6325
* Peel skin of potato and cut potato into small 1 inch pieces.
* Chop onion, tomatoes and slit green chillies into 2.
* In a pan pour oil and add the seasoning and fry till light golden colour then add chopped onion and fry for 2 mins then add ginger garlic... - 45.3993
Thakkali Poondu Thokku
Tomato garlic pickle is my favourite. Tangy, spicy, tasty tomatoes with garlic combines in to a delicious pickle. Try and enjoy! - 45.3983
1) In a big saucepan melt butter.
2) Stir in apple, carrots, celery, onions and garlic and cook for 5 minutes.
3) Take off from heat and mix flour, curry powder, salt, mustard and sage. Mix to the butter mixture stirring till bubby.
4) Blend in chicken... - 45.3757
Cook and stir apple, carrots, celery, onions, and garlic in butter 5 min.
Remove from heat.
Mix flour with curry powder, salt, mustard, and sage; stir into butter mixture.
Cook, stirring until mixture is bubbly.
Remove from heat.
Stir in chicken broth.
Add... - 45.1712
Madras Beef Curry
1. Peel the onion and garlic and chop them finely.
2. Trim the meat off any fat and gristle, and cut it into 1-inch pieces.
3. Cover the meat with salt, freshly-ground pepper and about 1 tablespoon of curry powder. Keep aside.
4. Take a... - 45.1689
1. Wash, wipe dry and slit each chilly half-way through.
2. Boil the tamarind in a little water, extract the pulp, strain, and set aside.
3. Heat 1 teaspoon of oil, and fry the asafoetida and fenugreek seeds to brown. Remove, cool, powder, and set aside.
4.... - 45.1587
Place the raisins in a bowl and cover with boiling water.
Let stand three minutes.
Heat the butter in a dutch oven or kettle and cook the celery, onion, garlic and mushrooms until the vegetables are tender.
With a wooden spoon, stir... - 44.6223
Vengayam Thakkali Thokku
Tomatoes Onion chutney is very simple to make by just tossing some onions and tomatoes together.If your tired and want to fix your dinner you can make this dish fast and enjoy it. - 44.6199
Yummy Adai are rarely shared in my family. Everyone loves Adai which goes well with a number of dishes. Try this tasty Adai recipe for yourself. - 44.1217
Soaked and boiled brown chickpeas, tempered with a classic South Indian mix of mustard seeds, urad dal and curry leaves. - 43.8802
Drumstick Leaves Sambar
Drumstick leaves sambar is very tasty and healthy too. Drumstick leaves are rich in iron and vitamins which is essential for health. - 43.8768
Chicken Madras is a recipe which you will simply love. An effortlessly prepared recipe; the Chicken Madras is a dish that you would love to serve at coming party! - 43.7021
Cabbage Saute is a very simple, light dish. Healthy and tasty, quick dish. Try it and enjoy!!! - 43.2187
* Cut the mutton in small pieces and pressure cook it 2 cups of water, with a pinch turmeric powder and a drop of oil for 3 whistles.
* If you don't have kulambu powder then you can fry the other said powders lightly without any oil and use that instead of... - 43.0074
1. Wash the tomatoes and dip them in boiling water for 5 minutes. Remove, peel the skins, and chop.
2. Add salt to the tomatoes, and set to cook on low heat, stirring frequently until all the water evaporates. Remove from fire.
3. Grind to a paste the ginger... - 42.6747
Paruppu Beans Usili
Paruppu Usili is a tasty and very healthy dish. High in protein and tastes excellent. Enjoy!! - 42.4058
Madras Egg Curry
1) In a skillet, saute the onions and garlic in the butter for 5 minutes.
2) Blend in the curry powder and tomato paste, stir constantly and cook for 1 minute.
3) Gradually stir in the milk, stir continuously and cook over a low heat for 10 minutes.
4)... - 42.1236
Thuviyal or Thogayal is the Tamil word for ‘chutney’ or spread. It ranges from any combination of greens, or vegetables or totally herbal. The below recipe is of a herb which is called Solanum trilobatum, a common plant in South India known for its... - 42.1202
Sweet Potato Puli Kulambu
1. Soak tamarind in a cup of warm water.
2. Squeeze out the pulp.
3. Peel sweet potatoes, cut into cubes and put into the tamarind pulp.
4. Add chopped onion, chilli powder, turmeric, salt and water. Boil down to half its volume.
5. Heat oil. Add mustard... - 41.7321
1.Remove the orange peel and divide it in segments.
2.Take a large bowl and put mayonnaise, orange juice, lemon juice, sour cream, curry powder, pepper and salt in it.
3.Put large chicken pieces along with grapes.
4.Add the oranges,... - 41.7172
This dish goes well with puttu(steamed rice cake), chappathi(indian bread), appam(hoppers), dosa(south indian crêpe) and idli. - 41.3792
Tamil Recipes By Category