Soybean oil also known as Chinese bean oil is oil extracted from soybeans and is one of the commonly used vegetables oils. This oil of soy beans is healthy, moderately priced and has a high smoking point due to which it is majorly used for cooking.
Method of Production of Soy Oil
To make this plant based oil, the soy beans are broken and once they attain suitable moisture content and are turned into flakes with commercial hexane the oil is derived. The oil is put under refining and then hydrogenated. The oil, though used for many other purposes, is usually sold as vegetable oil.
Culinary Uses Of Chinese Bean Oil
- Soybean oil is mostly used for preparation of salads.
- The soy oil is tasteless and free from odor which makes it suitable for baking.
- The oil is commonly used for pickling.
- It is one of the commonly used frying oils due to its high smoke point.
- The soy oil is one of the basic ingredients used to make margarine.
- Various snacks, breads, non-dairy coffee creamers and crumb coatings are made using this oil.
Other Uses Of Soy Oil
Apart from cooking, the oil is used in manufacturing of soy candles, ink, crayons and bio diesel.
Soybean Oil Benefits
- Rich in antioxidants-The oil extracted from soy beans is rich in antioxidants which are beneficial to the human body.
- Good source of fatty acids- The soy oil is a good source of essential fatty acids like omega- 3 and omega-6. These essential fatty acids are healthy for the body and cannot be produced within the body. There are approximately 7.7 grams of omega 3 fatty acids in a 100 grams serving of this oil. Similarly, there are 54.2 grams of omega 6 fatty acids in the same portion of serving.
- Anti- inflammatory- The anti- inflammatory properties help in reducing the chances of arthritis and heart diseases.
- Protects bone and skin- The soy oil is a source of Linoleic acid which helps the bones and skin. This oil also helps in having a healthy reproductive system.
- Rich in vitamin E- Soybean oil benefits also include the presence of vitamin E which is a fat soluble vitamin essential for red blood cell production and clotting of blood. This vitamin also helps in reducing the risk of prostate cancer.
Selection And Storing Soybean Oil
To avail the benefits of soyabean oil, care must be taken to select and store it. The oil is commercially available in bottles and pouches and is considered best in quality when golden in color and free from any lumps or granules.
This Chinese bean oil should be stored in dark and cool place. If the bottle or metal container holding the oil is not opened, it can be stored for a year. However, once open the oil should be consumed within 2 months. The oil can be also refrigerated for later use.