- » South African
South African Recipes
South African cuisine is popularly known as ‘Rainbow Cuisine’ due to its variety and diversified nature. South African food is all about conventional as well as unconventional cuisines. Right from ... More »
Empanadas, or hand pies, are widely eaten in South America and can be filled with sweet, savory, or sweet and sour fillings. - 120.125
South African Doughnut
This koeksister Recipe is simple and very easy to follow. Koeksisters are those sweet, sticky and delicious South African doughnut. The doughnuts are twisted or plait and diped in a sweet and lemony cold syrup. Koeksisters are often served as desert or snack.... - 114.475
South African Street Food (bunny Chow)
Real South African street food. This video makes chicken bunny chow which is delicious form of curry chicken served on a hollow bread. Prepared with aromatic spices, this chicken dish is very delicious and the aromatic spices render a very beautiful flavor.... - 110.042
Tomato Salad With Hot Chilli Oil Dressing
Just back from South Africa, Robin gets with her a salad recipe inspired by the one served at her hotel. It uses chili oil for the dressing which makes it one hot salad. Juicy tomatoes and the hot dressing are going to be a treat for all salad lovers. - 109.66
1. On a wooden cutting board, place the meat.
2. Cut long strips about 3/4 inches thick along the grain of the meat.
3. Cut each strip again longitudinally into 4 strips.
4. Sprinkle coarse salt in the bottom of a glass baking dish.
5. Layer in the... - 102.721
Bototie - South African Meat Casserole
Bobotie is a classic South African casserole meat dish that was brought to the Cape by the Indonesian slaves brought there to work by the Dutch East India Company. It is a gently-spiced mince dish full of raisins covered with a layer of savory egg custard. - 49.9325
South African Chicken Pie
1) Cut the chicken neatly into quarters.
2) In a large skillet, put the chicken pieces, seasoning, vegetables and enough water to cover the contents. Cover and cook over low flame for about 30 minutes. Strain the stock and set it... - 46.7402
1 cake yeast, creamed with a teaspoon sugar and mixed into another Vi-cup tepid milk and water mixture Rub butter into dry ingredients.
Make a well in the centre.
Pour in yeast and milk-and- water mixture.
Mix and knead very well for 15 minutes.
This is... - 44.0843
South African Deviled Rock Lobster
1) In large kettle boil salted water and add frozen lobster tails. Re-boil water and cook for 5 minutes.
2) Drain and douse tails in cold water.
3) Using kitchen scissors cut through underside membrane.
4) Take out the meat and reserve shells.
5) With... - 43.9739
South African Curry
Soak bread crumbs in milk.
Drain off milk and reserve (about 1/2 cup); set crumbs aside.
Cook onions and apple in heated butter in a large skillet until just tender, stirring occasionally.
Mix in curry powder, sugar, raisins, and almonds.
Blend in 1 egg,... - 43.2526
South African Beef
Have the butcher tenderize the steaks or pound thin with a meat mallet.
Blend the flour with the spices, then dredge the steaks in the seasoned flour.
Heat the oil in a large skillet.
Brown the steaks.
Remove to a large casserole dish.
Saute the mushrooms,... - 42.751
Koeksisters - South African Syrup Coated Doughnut Braids
1) In a saucepan, boil together sugar and water until thickened.
2) Allow the syrup to cool and place in refrigerator.
3) In a bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.
4) Add in the butter and rub the mixture well.
5)... - 42.6199
South African Peach And Spiced Ricotta Tart
1. Preheat oven to 180ºC, fan 160ºC, gas mark 4.
2. For the shortcrust pastry - Beat butter and sugar in an electric mixer until pale and creamy (3-5 minutes). Add yolk, vanilla and salt, mix until just combined. Add flour, mix until... - 42.4763
South African Sosaties
The day before the barbecue, in a large casserole, heat the oil.
Gently saute onions until they are soft and transparent.
Add curry powder, coriander and turmeric.
Cook, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes.
Combine lime juice and water and add to casserole; then add... - 41.9399
South African Rock Lobster-tails
Melt butter in skillet; saute rice until golden.
Add chicken broth and saffron; cover tightly.
Simmer for 20 minutes.
Drop lobster-tails into boiling salted water.
Cook only until water reboils.
Drain; drench with cold water.
Cut away underside membrane; pull... - 41.5556
South African Nectarine And Lemon Chicken With Pilaf Rice
1. Preheat oven to 200ºC, fan 180ºC, gas mark 6.
2. Heat 20ml oil in a frying pan, season chicken and sauté over high heat until golden (3-5 minutes). Set aside.
3. Process garlic, ground spices and half the onion in a food processor... - 40.7885
South African Rock Lobster Rolls
1. Follow the instructions to boil South African rock lobster tails. Take out the meat and dice it.
2. Melt margarine or butter. Add seasonings and flour and stir well. Add parsley and mayonnaise and beat well.
3. Separate the rolls, leaving just a... - 39.429
Roasted Pork Chops With Sweet And Sour South African Nectarines
1. Preheat oven to 200ºC, fan 180ºC, gas mark 6, ready to roast the pork.
2. Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium-low heat. Add the nectarines (cut side down), onion slices and spring onions. Cook them until the nectarines... - 39.3308
Use a screw-top jar holding 2 lbs.
and three- quarters fill it with warm water.
Dissolve the yeast and combine with raisins and sugar and water in the jar.
Cover tightly with screw-top lid and stand overnight.
sifted boermeal 1/2-lb.
butter... - 37.649
South African Rarebit
1) Take a saucepan, and mix together evaporated milk and tomato sauce.
2) Heat it until it bubbles and sticks to the sides of the pan.
3) Slowly add cheese and stir until it melts and a smooth and thick soup is formed.
4) Now, stir in basil and salt.... - 37.4435
South African Rock Lobster Imperial
With scissors, remove underside membrane of lobster tails.
Pull out meat in one piece; dice.
Heat butter in saucepan; saute onion.
Add lobster pieces; stir until meat has lost its translucency and is opaque.
Stir in flour.
Stir in creamed and kernel corn,... - 36.2695
Rooibos Tea Custard With Caramelised Golden Delicious Apple
1. For the baked rooibos tea cream, preheat the oven to 160°C. Combine the cream, tea bags and vanilla in a saucepan over a medium heat and stir occasionally until hot (5 minutes).
2. Remove from the heat, cover and stand to infuse (1 hour).
3. Whisk the... - 35.9153
Roasted Pink Lady Apples
1. Heat the white wine and honey in a saucepan over a medium heat, bring to the boil, reduce the heat and cook for 10 minutes or until syrupy.
2. Add the sultanas, remove from the heat and cool.
3. Preheat oven to 160°C. In a bowl, combine the orange juice,... - 34.7011
Soak beans overnight.
Boil till soft and add butter.
Mix sugar, flour, salt and vinegar and add gradually to boiling mixture.
Boil another 10 minutes.
Serve hot or cold. - 30.9092
Filling: Boil together 2 cups milk, 3/8-cup sugar and some stick cinnamon and a lump of butter.
Mix together: 1 rounded dssrtspn.
each of flour, cornflour and custard powder.
Mix this in turn with a little cold milk.
Stir in boiling mixture and cook till... - 28.6767
Green Beans ( South African Style )
Top and tail 1 lb.
If not the stringless type, remove strings.
Cut crosswise into pieces about 1/4 wide.
Place in a pan with a little boiling water and 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion.
Sometimes add a chopped peeled tomato.
Boil for 20 minutes... - 25.7398
South African Mango Atchar
In this snippet from Grilldog Presents Grilldog demonstrates his South African Mango Atchar Recipe for S.A.'s National Heritage Day. - 0
Piri Piri Chicken- African Food
1. In a food processor or blender, add roasted chilli powder, fresh chillies, garlic, ginger, black pepper, salt, paprika, lime juice, oil and bouillon cube (if using). Blend till smooth.
2. In a large bowl, place the chicken legs. Pour the... - 0
South African Potato Peas Salad
1. In a shallow bowl, mix together veg mayonnaise, soya cream cheese and turmeric powder.
2. Season with green chilies and salt. Mix well.
3. Add in the carrots, potatoes, pepper and peas. Mix all the ingredients thoroughly.
4. Stir the tomatoes in... - 0
South African Potato Salad
1. In a shallow bowl, combine veg mayonnaise, soya cream cheese and turmeric powder.
2. Season with green chilies and salt. Mix well.
3. Add in the carrots, potatoes and pepper. Mix all the ingredients thoroughly.
4. Serve the potato salad on... - 0
Zulu Roasted Corn On The Cob
Inspired by a trip to South Africa - grill-roasted corn on the cob rolled in hot pepper-garlic butter and crushed peanuts. - 0
South African Recipes By Category
South African Ingredient: