Slovak wine is mainly produced in the southern part of Slovakia. Tokaj is one of the most popular wines of Slovakia which has made the country internationally popular. Slovakian wine is grown in 6 different wine producing regions of the country and enjoys more of domestic than international demand.
Historical Background of Slovak Wine
Tokaj wine region was originally the only wine region of Slovakia. This region developed mainly when it was a part of Kingdom of Hungary. In the later years several regions were added to this wine territory, which slowly became the current Slovak wine growing regions.
Popular Slovakian Wine Regions
Vines are primarily found in the following regions:
• Malokarpatská - This is better known as "Lesser Carpathian wine region"
• Južnoslovenská –Vineyards are found in the Southern region of Slovakia
• Nitrianska – Domestically popular red wine grapes are grown in this Nitra wine region.
• Tokajska – Internationally renowned tokaj grapes are grown here.
• Stredoslovenská – Several vineyards are located in this centrally located wine region.
Popular Slovak Wines
Some of the best selling varieties of Slovak wine include:
• Rizling Rýnsky – This is a popular wine with several flavors of peach, apple, fresh lime and candied fruit tones.
• Double Cross Vodka – Considered to one of the top selling wines; it is an exotic blend of different flavors.
Slovak Wine: Trivia
Slovakian wine enjoys more of domestic demand than international craze, except for the very popular Tokaj wine.