Semi boneless rib roast, also known as prime rib, is a popular American dish that is made with that cut of beef wherein the rib-bones are intact, but the back bone is removed. It is a highly flavored cut of meat, which is usually roasted to result in a delicious succulent rib roast. Served as a main dish, the roast is also known as “standing rib-roast”, because it is usually roasted with the meat kept in a standing position with a vertical stacking of the ribs. Usually this cut of meat is dry roasted and served with some vegetable side dishes.
Prime rib or semi boneless rib roast is a popular beef dish of American origin; however, it is also popular in Europe, especially in United Kingdom.
Depending on personal preferences, semi boneless rib roast is either cooked for lesser time or more.
- Rare – In this case the meat is cooked to a grey-brown on the outside and bright red in the center. It is cooked at 52 degrees C.
- Medium Rare – This is the most popular way of cooking the meat; wherein the meat is cooked at 55 degrees C.
- Medium – The meat is grey brown on the outside and pink in the center. The meat is cooked at 63 degrees C.
- Medium well done – In this case the meat that is cooked to a light pink in the center, at 68 degrees C.
- Well done – The meat is cooked till it chars on the outside and to a grey brown on the inside. The meat is cooked at 73 degrees C.
Semi boneless rib roast, as the name suggests is a roasted dish. The key ingredients that go into making this roast are prime rib, diced carrots, diced celery, diced onions, corn starch, butter, beef broth, salt and pepper.
Method of Preparation
Semi boneless rib roast is rubbed with butter and salt and kept aside. Meanwhile, onions, carrots and celery are sautéed and seasoned with salt and pepper. The salt rubbed prime rib is roasted at high temperature to lock in the juices, which happens once the outside of the meat is seared well. As the vegetables brown, beef broth is added to the vegetables and cooked for some time. As the inside temperature of the roast reaches about 125 degrees F, it is covered with aluminum foil and set aside for some time (about 20 minutes). This helps in keeping the temperature of the meat high, in fact even increasing it to about 135 degrees F, thus cooking it to a medium rare. The meat can be taken out of the oven, depending on the desired final output – medium rare or well done. Browned vegetables are blended along with a cornstarch (for thickening) and then served with carved meat along with au jus (poured over the meat).
- Semi boneless rib roast is a popular American main dish, which is smoked and dry roasted. It is generally served along with mashed potatoes and creamy mushrooms.
- In UK, prime rib roast is a popular Sunday roast dish and is served with creamy horseradish sauce and Yorkshire pudding.