Paneer sabji is a popular North Indian curry. It is made in many different ways. It is flavored with Indian spices.
Ingredients and Preparation
Cottage cheese is the main ingredient for making paneer sabji. Tomato, onion, ginger and garlic are used to make the gravy. Spices like bay leaves, cloves, black pepper, cardamom, cinnamon, turmeric, red chilli powder, coriander seed powder are used. Other ingredients like cashew, curd and cream are also used.
Traditionally, paneer sabji is made in a kadhai. Gravy is made with onion, tomato, ginger and garlic. Spices are added and cooked till the gravy doesn’t leave water. Cottage cheese is added and cooked.
· Paneer sabji is served with hot parathas.
· It is also served with rice and peas pulav.
· Palak paneer – Cottage cheese is cooked in a spinach gravy.
· Paneer makhanwala – Paneer is cooked in a tomato and cream gravy.
· Kadhai paneer – This is a spicy curry made with a basic onion tomato gravy.
· Paneer burji – Scrambled cottage cheese is made with grated paneer, onion, tomato and Indian spices.
Health and Nutrition Facts
Serving size – 170 cal, Fat – 3 g, Protein – 6 g, Carbohydrate – 15 g
· Paneer sabji is not very high in calories and fat. It is a good source of energy and good quality protein. It has casein protein which is a slow digesting protein.
· It is very helpful in losing weight and weight management.
· It is a very good source of minerals like calcium, phosphorus, Iron and zinc.
· It also has a good amount of vitamins like B complex. It has vitamin B6, panthothenic acid, folate, thiamine and niacin.
· It helps to control blood pressure and cholesterol. It helps to lower LDL and maintain the ratio between HDL.