Pancreas Cancer Diet is the special type of diet which helps the pancreatic cancer sufferer to maintain the body strength and wait while fighting the disease. The pancreatic cancer as the name suggests affects the pancreas. The pancreas helps to control the blood sugar and aids in digestion. When the pancreas is affected by cancer then it losses its ability to digest foods. Under such circumstances the sufferers are administered on special diet to maintain nutritional supply. Person suffering from pancreatic cancer often complains about the nausea, constipation, diarrhea, decreased appetite, etc.
A diet capable of supplying vital pancreatic enzymes is often recommended to the people suffering from pancreatic cancer.
Pancreas Cancer Diet: Foods to Eat
Following food groups will be helpful in fighting the onslaught of pancreatic cancer.
- Vitamin D: Some studies suggest that the foods rich in Vitamin D aids in curtailing the growth of cancerous cells. Milk, shrimp, eggs, cod, Chinook salmon are excellent sources of vitamin D.
- Cruciferous Vegetables: Vegetables belonging to the family of cabbage are known for their anti cancerous properties. Vegetables like turnip greens, cabbage, Brussels sprout, and cauliflower can be made part of the Pancreas Cancer Diet.
- Tea: Tea is loaded with lots of flavanoids and one particular flavonoid known as kaempferol is known to inhibit the cancerous cells in the body. Hot tea or cold tea can be consumed atleast thrice daily to leach out the cancerous cells.
- Ginger: The spices in ginger family can aid in large way for fighting against the cancerous cells in the body and also they aid in curbing the nausea associated with pancreatic cancer. Eating gingerbread, sipping ginger ale, or including them in sauces, marinades and soups are the brilliant way of including ginger into the diet.
- Curcumin: Curcumin is the main ingredient of curry powder. This spice possesses anti-inflammatory properties which aid in fighting against cancerous cells. It can be added into the diet by sprinkling it over many dishes.
Pancreas Cancer Diet: Foods to Avoid
Avoiding the following foods will help in curbing the severity of the disease
- Bran foods and toast: They are normally rough to tongue and pancreatic cancer sufferers often find it difficult to swallow the foods rich in bran.
- Fatty foods: They are often difficult to digest and create digestive discomfort so it is always recommended to avoid them for long time.
- High fiber foods and dairy foods: They can again induce the stomach discomfort, so it is recommended to stay away from them for long time.
- Coconut, dried fruits and nuts: Swelling of intestine is one of the common conditions experienced by most of the pancreatic cancer patients so they are recommended to stay away from hard foods like dried fruits, nuts and coconut.