Noodle casserole is a casserole dish made with noodles, along with other ingredients like soup or stock, sour cream, peppers, onions, garlic, paprika, etc. The casserole is a very common feature of the American cuisine. The dish shows many variations with additional ingredients like tuna, chicken, ham, etc. The casserole is prepared by cooking the noodles by boiling in water, after which they are mixed with the other ingredients and baked in a casserole dish.
Noodle Casserole Preparation Overview
Ingredients: Ingredients suggested by the noodle casserole recipe include wide egg noodles, chopped onion, cream of mushroom soup, ground red pepper, chopped green pepper, sour cream, cheese, minced garlic, etc. Breadcrumbs and beaten eggs may also be included in some recipes.
Method of Preparation: The casserole is made by first boiling the noodles in water till cooked and then draining them. These noodles are combined with the chopped vegetables, sour cream and various seasoning ingredients and placed in a greased baking dish. They are then baked together till well heated throughout.
The noodle casserole dish is served hot, often accompanied by a salad. It is often garnished with rings of green peppers or scallions.
Noodle Casserole Recipe Variations
- Tuna-Noodle Casserole: The casserole is made with white tuna chunks, bread crumbs, wide egg noodles, chopped onion, cream of mushroom soup, sour cream, pepper, baby peas, paprika and milk. Noodles are cooked and drained, and onions are cooked in a greased skillet for a few minutes, after which soup, milk, sour cream and pepper are stirred in. The mixture is heated till blended well. The cooked and drained noodles are then mixed with the soup mix, peas and tuna, after which the contents are transferred to a casserole dish and sprinkled evenly with bread crumbs that have been processed in a food processor. The dish is then topped with paprika and baked till heated throughout.
- Chicken Noodle Casserole: The casserole is made with cooked diced chicken along with chicken broth and other regular noodle-casserole ingredients. Beaten eggs are also added as an additional ingredient.
- Ham and Cheese Noodle Casserole: This is made by baking a mixture of diced and cooked ham, shredded Swiss cheese, cooked wide noodles, chopped green pepper and onion, sour cream and salt. The dish is garnished with green pepper rings.
- Corn Noodle Casserole: It is made by baking a mixture of cooked noodles, canned cream corn, canned whole corn, cubed Velveeta cheese and sugar till the cheese has melted.
- Beef Noodle Casserole: The casserole contains ground beef as an additional ingredient to the usual ones suggested by the basic recipe.