muscle building diet
Muscle Building Diet is a well structured dietary regimen involving a great deal of patience, dedication and passion to transform one’s body completely by losing fat, gaining muscle mass and strength while becoming fit and healthy all at once. The muscle building diet is based on the concept that it is not only rigorous, long hours of exercise and working out in the gym that will help one build muscles, the dietary regime followed plays an equally important if not more significant role in helping a person realize his dreams of a perfectly shaped, toned body.
Guidelines for Muscle Building Diet
Logically, the muscle building diet requires nutrients that are specially directed towards supporting muscular growth and development.
- Carbohydrate intake must consist of primarily complex carbohydrates as they supply glycogen to the muscles which is essential during intense body building workouts in order to sustain high energy levels. Unlike the short term energy high delivered by simple carbohydrates, complex carbohydrates release a more continuous flow of energy that help maximizing strength training sessions. Approximately 40% complex carbohydrates need to be consumed from unprocessed sources like whole grains (brown rice), whole wheat (breads& pastas), oats, nuts, beans or sweet potato.
- Special mention must be made with regard to fruits and vegetable intake as these supply the body with essential vitamins, minerals and antioxidants that have specific roles in muscle growth and development. Green leafy vegetables, citrus fruits, berries, tomatoes, cruciferous vegetables, all make for good choices and also add fibre to the diet.
- Fat intake must be limited to foods that provide a good supply of essential fatty acids. While saturated fats are to be avoided, unsaturated fats, both mono- and poly unsaturated fats are essential to maintain a stable metabolism and to facilitate production of hormones involved in muscle growth. Foods such as avocados, almonds, walnuts, flax seeds, fish oil should ideally constitute 20 % of the muscle building diet.
- Nothing compares to what protein does for muscle building. Proteins and their constituent amino acids are vital to building muscular tissues. Lean protein foods contribute to the anabolic processes which include not only new muscle formation but also repair of injured or worn out muscles. Evidently, the intake of protein needs to be high and is fixed at around 40 % of the total intake, significantly higher when compared to a normal diet. Foods high in quality protein content such as eggs, skinless poultry, lean meat, salmon, tuna, low-fat dairy like milk, yoghurt, cottage cheese, beans and legumes and even soy and its products are some of the best choices.
- Last, but not the least, the importance of adequate water intake cannot be overemphasized as it plays a vital role in the muscular growth and makes up approximately 75% of muscle tissue. It is needed to keep the muscle tissues in the correct state of hydration in order to optimize performance when supplied with energy. It is estimated that on a muscle building diet at least 0.6% of the body weight in ounces of water must be consumed per day.
- Whey Proteins from powder supplements help to meet up to the high protein requirements of approximately 1.0 -1.2 g of protein/pound of body weight. Using a whey protein supplement is one of the best ways to augment protein intake from food sources. It is easy to prepare and can be consumed through the day.
Muscle Building Diet Plan
• Breakfast: 4 egg whites scrambled + 2 Brown bread toasts + 1 cup fruit yoghurt + 1 glass of soy milk
• Midmorning: Strawberry flavored whey protein shake
• Lunch: Stir fried tofu with veggies + 1 cup brown rice + Spinach, corn cheese topped on a bed of mashed herbed sweet potato + 1 glass of tomato juice
• Evening snack: Peanut butter sandwich + Avocado shake
• Dinner: Chicken clear soup + Grilled herbed salmon + Steamed broccoli, carrots, green beans and snow peas.
• Bedtime : Low fat milk with/without whey protein powder.
Thus the body largely depends on nutrients from foods and supplements in addition to regular training and workouts for building muscle and attaining an enviable physique.