Muesli, also spelt as Müsli is one of the most commonly eaten breakfast cereal. It is a mixture of rolled oats, dried fruits, nuts and seeds. It has a toasted flavor with chunks of dried fruits and nuts. Today, it is easily available in a packaged form.
Muesli was first introduced in Switzerland by Dr. Maximilin Bircher – Benner in the year 1900 for hospital patients. He made this mixture and blends himself. By around 1960, this format became a very popular breakfast cereal and was packaged commercially.
Ingredients and Preparation
Muesli is made of primarily rolled oats enriched with dried fruits and nuts. Rye flakes, wheat crunch can also be added. It can also to be fortified with flaxseeds and other functional ingredients.
Originally, the recipe for muesli included more fruits than cereal. Apple was traditionally along with only cereals. Condensed milk was used.
Muesli can be served with milk, condensed milk, yogurt, fruit juice or water. Sweeteners like sugar, honey or non calorie sweeteners can be used. Fresh fruits and chocolate chips can also be added.
Traditionally, only orange juice was used.
· Muesli slightly toasted in oil is called Granola.
· Muesli can be used to make cookies.
· It can also be made into bars which are easier to eat.
· It can be used to make a crumble pie.
· Crust for pie can be made with ground muesli.
Health and Nutrition Facts
Serving size – 1 bowl
Calories – 250 g, Fat – 3 g, Dietary Fiber – 6 g, Protein – 6 g
· Muesli is a very good source of dietary fiber and it helps to lower cholesterol.
· It is rich in minerals and vitamins and helps to boost energy.
· It helps to keep the body fit by preventing free radical damage and thereby preventing and reducing chances of cancer.
· It detoxifies the body by removing all the waste effectively.
· When eaten, it absorbs water and swells. It gives a feeling of fullness and adds to satiety.
· It is rich in potassium and low in saturated fats. It helps to protect the heart and prevents cardio-vascular diseases.
· Oats are a good source of omega 3 fatty acids which help in nervous system development.
· It is very good for dieters and weight watchers as it aids healthy and fast weight loss.
· Packaged muesli is available under the following brands – Alpen, Bagrry’s, Mueslix, etc.