Madridfood refers to the collection of dishes and drinks consumed in Madrid, the capital city of Spain. The city cuisine is known for being a blend of various foreign influences, including those of Austiran, Galician and Andalusian Cuisines, which were brought here by foreign settlers. Madrid food is considered to be deliciously heavy, with rich use of unique local ingredients.
Ingredients Commonly Used in Food in Madrid
Vegetables like cabbage, carrots, potatoes, turnips, celery, etc. and meats like chicken, beef and pork are common ingredients in Madrid food. Olive oil and sunflower oil are commonly used for cooking, and pepper and onions for flavoring. Oranges and pomegranates are popular fruits.
Popular Madrid Cuisine Dishes
- Rabo de toro: It is a dish made of cow's or bull's tail, containing stuffing.
- Cocido madrileño: It is a stew made of chickpeas and meat.
- Oreja: It is a dish made with pig's ears.
- Callos a la madrileña: It is a spicy dish of tripe or offal in tomato sauce.
- Tortilla de patatas: It is an omelet made of eggs, potatoes and onions.
- Bocata de calamares: It is a French bread sandwich containing calamari in fried form.
- Porras: It is a batter dish made by frying, which is eaten along with coffee or hot chocolate. It can be called a thicker version of churros.
- Patatas bravas: It is a spicy dish consisting of fried potatoes in tomato sauce.
- Huevos rotos: It is a French fries dish with a topping of fried eggs.
- Cochinillo asado: It is a roasted form of sucking pig, prepared with meat from piglet aged between two to four weeks.
- Sopa castellana: It is a famous garlic soup flavored with salt, pepper and paprika.
- Bartolillos con crema: It is a small pie with custard filling.
- Tapas: They are small savory snacks or appetizers of various forms. Various bars in the city serve a tapa along with a glass of beer or wine.
Places Famous for Food in Madrid
The region surrounding La Latina, particularly on the Cava Baja Street, is a famous place for enjoying Madrid cuisine. Shops along the Calle Arenal offer good take-away Madrid food items.