Liver Disease Diet refers to the diet which aids in regularizing the activities of liver and also stops it from overworking. According to nutritionists people suffering from liver disease should consume protein rich diet because it helps them to recover fast. The proteins aid in tissue repair and it inhibits the markers causing damage to the liver cells. In severe cases of liver disease, the proteins are not processed by the body and due to that, the body’s ability to fight toxins diminishes. And it affects the functioning of brain. Also, people suffering from liver disease should increase their carbohydrate consumption in proportion to protein because it helps to preserve the glycogen stores.
A balanced liver disease diet is the one which gives equal importance to the proteins, vitamins and carbohydrates. Studies suggest that correct implementation of this diet can aid in curbing symptoms like nervous system disorder, low count of RBC, and nutritional deficiencies.
Liver Disease Diet Program: Characteristics
The Liver Disease Diet developed for curbing the severity of liver disease should have the following anti-oxidants and nutrients:
- Selenium: It is a mineral and is main constituent found in most of the antioxidant enzymes. Wheat and rice are main sources of selenium.
- Beta-Carotene: It is normally present in vegetables which are orange in color and green leafy vegetables. Vegetables like carrots, mangoes, apricots and sweet potatoes and spinach are considered as good source of beta carotene.
- Vitamin E: Found in abundance in nuts, corn, and soybean oils.
- Lycopene: It is a potent antioxidant found in oranges, guava, watermelon and tomatoes.
- Vitamin C: It is found in citrus fruits, fish, poultry and cereals.
Liver Disease Diet: Recommendations
- Consumption of large quantities of carbohydrate foods is encouraged. They are the major source of calories in diet.
- Moderate intake of fats is recommended because it can aid in preventing protein breakdown and also preserving the protein in the body.
- Dietary vitamin consumption or vitamin supplements are highly encouraged.
- The usage of salt is strictly prohibited because it can cause swelling in liver and worsen the situation of fluid building up in various portions of the body. Most people with liver disease are instructed to stay away from salts.