Kamut is the name of the brand of kharosan variety of wheat. It is an ancient grain and is equivalent to durum wheat. This wheat has a sweet and nutty flavor. The speciality of this brand is that this wheat is grown organically and is neither hybridized nor genetically modified.
Origin and History
Kamut wheat belongs to genus Triticum. The scientific name is Triticum turgidum spp. Turanicum. There are mentions of the kharosan wheat being native to Egypt. It is called Balady durum in Egypt which literally means native wheat. There are findings which state that there is relation between invasion of Greeks and Romans into Egypt and the origin of kharosan wheat.
Local farmers also mention a story about kharosan wheat saying it is Prophet’s wheat or the camel’s tooth which was brought by Noah on the ark.
In 1988, the wheat was first introduced as pasta under the brand name Kamut in United States.
Use of Kamut Kharosan wheat
- Kamut is sold in North America, Australia, Europe and Asia. Breads, pasta, breakfast cereals, beer, whole grain, cookies and crackers, made using this wheat. It is also available in the flour form. Kamut wheat flour can be used to make breads and pasta at home as well.
- It can be soaked and cooked in hot water for salads.
- Bulgar can be used to make porridge, savory snacks, etc.
Products available under the brand kamut
- Baby foods
- Bread mix
- Breakfast cereal
- Energy bar
- Pancake mix
- Broken grains
- Waffle mix
Kamut – Trademark
The specifications of Kamut variety wheat are –
- It is certified organic
- It has a protein of 12 – 18 %
- 99% free of other varieties of wheat.
- 98% free of yeasts, molds and diseases.
- Contains high selenium ranging between 400 to 1000 parts per billion.
Health and Nutrition Facts
- Kamut wheat contains high amount of protein. Regular wheat contains 8 to 10 % protein whereas this wheat contains 12 – 18 % protein content.
- It also contains higher amount of minerals like selenium, magnesium and zinc.
- It provides more energy than regular wheat. Energy is provided in the form of complex carbohydrates.
- It has a low oxidation property and hence the nutrients are not easily lost during processing.
- It contains high fiber which acts as an aid for faster digestion. It also helps to bind fat and eliminates it from the body.
- Kamut variety is a low yielding variety.
- It has more moisture content than regular wheat and is therefore more susceptible to moulds and diseases.
Where to buy
- Kamut based productsare generally available in health food sections of supermarkets like Walmart, target. It is also available in local health food stores.